Subject: [SCIGN-0097] New_Z12_firmware
From: Jeff Behr
Date: 1 Sep 1995 18:37:59

******************************************************************************
SCIGN Electronic Mail    Fri Sep  1 18:37:59 PDT 1995      Message Number 0097
******************************************************************************

Author: Jeff Behr
Subject: New_Z12_firmware 

Scripps Orbit and Permanent Array Center (SOPAC)
Date: September 1, 1995

Re: New Ashtech firmware installed at SIO3

On August 28 (240/95), a new firmware version was installed on the 
Ashtech Z-12 receiver at PGGA station SIO3.  This firmware (1E76-1J00)
employs a new compression algorithm which reduces by roughly 40% the size
of a single day's data file.  

The benefits of the new firmware are two-fold:  first, a receiver's storage 
capacity is increased from 6 to nearly 9 days and, second, download time has 
decreased to one-half its previous value.  In this case, we have been down-
loading 24 hours of data (30 second sampling) over a local phone line in
roughly 8 minutes 40 s compared to previous times of 17-18 minutes.

We expect to be deploying the 1E76-1J00 firmware on all SCIGN (PGGA/DGGA)
Ashtech Z-12 receivers over the next two to three weeks.

[Mailed From: [email-masked] (Geodesy Lab account)]