Subject: [SCIGN-0061] Station Installition Update
From: Frank Webb, Andrea Donnellan, and Tom Yunck
Date: 7 Apr 1995 12:21:59

******************************************************************************
SCIGN Electronic Mail    Fri Apr  7 12:21:59 PDT 1995      Message Number 0061
******************************************************************************

Author: Frank Webb,  Andrea Donnellan, and Tom Yunck
Subject: Station Installition Update

This is an update of the current status of JPL's receiver installation for the 
15 NASA receivers in the LA network.  The last update was in December.  
The original 9 sites are indicated with an asterisk (*).  

Installed are: 

1. *Mt. Wilson  -
        ID and Lat Lon Ht.  : WLSN 34.226112  -118.055906  1696.9778 
        Monumnet Type : Solar Telescope Foundation circa 1965
        Operating since:  7-15-94
        Software version: 3.2

        Comments: Possible RFI and Multipath problems.  May be moved to
         another location at Mt Wilson.  Poor data quality was noted with the
         original receiver.  This receiver was swapped out in late 
         March and replaced with another on 03-21-95.  

2. *Pasadena at Caltech - 
        ID and Lat Lon Ht.  : CIT1 34.1367  -118.1273    216.8770
        Monument Type : Building
        Operating since: 9-02-94
        Software version: 3.2

        Comments: No problems.  This site uses a narrow band antenna.

3. *San Fernando Valley at  Oat Mtn - 
        ID and  Lat Lon Ht.  : OAT2 34.330102  -118.6014 1016.1
        Monument Type : Underground Bunker/Massive concrete structure
        Operating since:  6-07-94 (OATT); 01-28-95 (OAT2)
        Software version: 3.2

        Comments: RFI and somewhat poor horizon mask required moving
         station to a location about 20 meters from the original mark, OATT.  
         The new site (OAT2) is characterized by lower RFI, a much better 
         horizon mask, and is likely to be more stable over the long run.  
         The original monument was preserved and GPS data have been collected
         at both sites for calculating a tie.  This site uses a narrow band 
         antenna.

4. *Long Beach - 
        ID and  Lat Lon Ht.  : LBCH 33.787758  -118.2034  44.0
        Monument Type : Building
        Operating since:  7-19-94
        Software version: 3.2

        Comments: No problems.

5. *Westlake at AOA - 
        ID and Lat Lon Ht.  : AOA1 34.1575 -118.830 249.1509
        Monument Type : Building 
        Operating since: 8-30-94 

        Comments: This site now uses one of the 15 NASA receivers.  AOA
         may replace it with one of theirs.

6. *Univ. Southern Calif -
        ID and Lat Lon Ht.  :  USC1 34.0164  118.3018
        Monument Type : 2 m stainless steel pilar attached to 
                       underground vault/massive concrete structure
        Operating since: 11-7-94 
        Software version: 3.2

        Comments: No problems.  
 
7. UCLA - 
        ID and Lat Lon Ht.  :  UCLP  34.0691228 -61.5581053 112.5670
        Monument Type : Building
        Operating since: 11-30-94
        Software version: 3.2

        Comments: There was a small ( <  5 mm ) movement of the antenna by
         UCLA maintance personel on 02-23-95.  This site uses a narrow band 
         antenna. 
         
8. Saddle Peak, Santa Monica Mtns. - 
        ID and Lat Lon Ht.  :  SDPK 34.0603  118.6479
        Monument Type : Underground Bunker/Massive concrete structure (Nike base)
        Collecting data since: 03-20-95
        Software version: 3.2

        Comments:  Site has been running for about 2 weeks.  Phone has
         yet to be installed at the recevier.  

9. Whittier Library - 
        ID and Lat Lon Ht.  :  WHI1  33.9799  118.0332  ???? 
        Monument Type : Building
        Collecting data since: 03-14-95
        Software version: 3.2

        Comments:  Site has been running for about 2 weeks.  Phone has
         yet to be installed at the recevier.

10. Whittier College -
        ID and Lat Lon Ht.  :  WHC1 33.9799  118.0332  ???? 
        Monument Type : Building
        Collecting data since: 03-15-95
        Software version: 3.2

        Comments:  Site has been running for about 2 weeks.  Phone has
         yet to be installed at the recevier.  This site uses a narrow band 
         antenna.

Partially installed are :

11. Cal State Northridge - A braced monument has been partially installed. 
        The legs need to be welded to the shaft, a mount needs to be constructed, 
        the receiver housing needs to be installed, and the power and phone need
        to be connected to the housing.  Receiver could be tracking as soon as
        the welding and housing installation are completed.

        Timescale:  ????
        ID and Lat Lon Ht.  :  ????    34.2293  118.5367
        Monument Type : Braced Monument

12. San Nicholas Island -  An antenna will be mounted to the underground bunker 
        that houses the Caltech TERRAscope and the receiver will be mounted 
        inside.  The monument has been constructed and shipped to the island
        and we are awaiting space on a Wednseday flight for Mark Smith to 
        install it.  Power and phone are already at the site.

        Timescale:  > 1 week
        ID and Lat Lon Ht.  :  ????    ???? ????? ????
        Monument Type : Underground bunker

13. Catalina - Permit has been obtained.  Site selected near USC marine
      science center at Two Harbors.  Both power and phone are available.
      
        ID and Lat Lon Ht.  :  ???? xxxxx xxxxx
        Monument Type : Bedrock (Miocene volcanics)

In the "permitting" process are :

14. *Torrance Airport -  This will be at a Nike base identical to Saddle Peak.  It 
       is located at the west end of the airport.  FAA has approved the site.
       Construction permit is being sought from the city by Pacifc West 
       Communications.  Airport manger ready to assist when ever we are ready.  

        ID and Lat Lon Ht.  :  TORE    33.796347    118.330022 -3.0
        Monument Type : Tetrapod/Braced Monument

15. *Hawthorne Airport -   FAA has approved the site selected near NE corner
       of airport.  Power is available, but no phone.  In FAA construction 
       permit we have requested to transmit the data back to the airport
       administration building using radio modems at 3 mW and 904-925 MHz
       during hours when the airport is closed.  Construction permit is being 
       sought from the city by Pacifc West Communications.

        ID and Lat Lon Ht.  :  HAWT 33.9212  118.3366
        Monument Type : Tetrapod/Braced 

16. Azusa -  Permitting in progress, Site selected near school.  Meetings with 
       school district officials have been very encouraging.  While the schools
       have no resources ($) to offer, they can offer space, phone and power. In
       return the schools are looking for educational opportunities for their
       students.  The GPS installations are viewed as focal points for 
       discussions into understanding science, earthquakes, disasters, etc.  

        ID and Lat Lon Ht.  :  ???? xxxxx xxxxx
        Monument Type : Tetrapod/Braced Monument

IN SITE SELECTION PROCESS:

17. Near JPL - Troposphere test site.  We have now choosen
        a site at the Elliot Middle School in Pasadena.  This site 
        should be much easier and is well spaced for the troposphere tests,
        being 4 km from JPL and 5 km from Caltech.  

        Timescale:  2-? weeks
        ID and Lat Lon Ht.  :  ????    34.??    118.??
        Monument Type : Building

18. Third airport site at Torrance Airport -  Construction permit is _not_ at FAA 
        for a third site at Torrance that is within 100 m or so of the Nike site.  
        Expect at least 60 days after a site is located on a map with lat, lon, 
        and height before receiving FAA approval.  Airport manger ready to assist 
        when ever we are ready.  

        Timescale:  Could be concurrent with TORW
        ID and Lat Lon Ht.  :  ????    33.796???   118.330??? ???
        Monument Type :  Tetrapod/Braced Monument 

Sites that have or will be abandoned are :

20. Mt. Disappointment - Approval was obtained to occupy the site and use space
        in the FBI facility.  Test data was collected and the site was found to 
        have very bad RFI problems.  A solution to the RFI has yet to be found
        and the site will most likely have to be abandoned.  

        Timescale:  1-4 weeks
        ID and Lat Lon Ht.  :  ????    34.2466  118.1050
        Monument Type : Concrete Antenna Pad/ Existing monument

21. Cal State LA (CSLA) - Two potential sites selected, but are considered
        problematic (location is poor and ground type is less than suitable). 
        I believe that it was felt that an alternative site should be found. 
        for this area.

        Timescale:  > 4 weeks
        ID and Lat Lon Ht.  :  CSLA    34.06    118.20
        Monument Type : Braced Monument
  
22. *Torrance Airport -  Sites selected at west end of runway  near a sound
       monitoring station has been approved by FAA, but is considered to be too
       far from the Nike site for a suitable stability test.  

        ID and Lat Lon Ht.  :  TORW 33.808078  118.347306 -10.0
        Monument Type : Tetrapod/Braced Monument

Hope that this message has been useful.  Please send comments and questions
to all of us.

Frank Webb
Andrea Donnellan
Tom Yunck

[Mailed From: Frank H Webb <[email-masked]>]