Subject: [SCIGN-0497] EGADS/ASHCAN Beta Release
From: Jeff Behr and Chris Roelle
Date: 7 Jan 1999 16:51:51

******************************************************************************
SCIGN Electronic Mail    Thu Jan  7 16:51:51 PST 1999      Message Number 0497
******************************************************************************

Author: Jeff Behr and Chris Roelle
Subject: EGADS/ASHCAN Beta Release

The SCIGN project would like to announce the version 1.0 beta 
release of the EGADS/ASHCAN system for managing continuous GPS 
array data.

EGADS, the Extendable GPS Array Data System, is a set of Perl 
modules and scripts managing distributed download, deletion and 
transfer of GPS data.  The system is designed to allow management 
of multiple download computers employing multiple serial connec-
tions from a Master control workstation.  The package has been 
operational on Unix and Windows NT workstations at USGS-Pasadena
and Scripps since August 1998, employing download management to 
local PCs and remote PCs at UC Santa Barbara and San Pedro Martir, 
Mexico.

EGADS is presently enabled for the Ashtech Z-12 receiver via the 
ASHCAN (Ashtech Communications and Networking) receiver communi-
cations and file translation program.  This is a port of Ashtech's
16-bit REMOTE, HOSE and ASHTORIN to the 32-bit Windows operating
systems (NT/95).  

A detailed release document in RTF format is included in the dis-
tribution to aid in the installation and assessment of the software.
This release, installation and configuration information is also 
available via the WWW at:

  	http://www-socal.wr.usgs.gov/scign/EGADS/

EGADS/ASHCAN is a cooperative development of SCIGN-USGS and SOPAC, 
UCSD.  We acknowledge the contributions of software developers at 
JPL for discussions leading to improvements in the existing system, 
and to JPL and UNAVCO for allowing us to evaluate their existing GPS 
data management software packages.

We sincerely hope that people working on the management of GPS station 
data will evaluate the EGADS/ASHCAN system and consider taking part in
the future development of EGADS.  Comments, suggestions and extensions 
are solicited.  

We have been asked to limit the distribution of ASHCAN to our GPS 
research associates.  Therefore we are distributing the EGADS package 
in two ways:
1) EGADS bundled with Ashcan for those wishing to immediately begin
	downloading Ashtech Z-12 receivers.
2) EGADS without ASHCAN for those wishing to evaluate EGADS and inte-
	grate other receiver types into the system.

For option 1), please contact Jeff Behr at [email-masked] for 
ftp access instructions.  All requests for this access information 
are welcome.  For option 2), please download the EGADS distribution 
compressed tar file from prospect.gps.caltech.edu via anonymous ftp. 

Thank you.

*******************************************************************
Jeff Behr
SCIGN Operations Center                 TEL: (626) 583-7816
US Geological Survey                    FAX: (626) 583-7827
525 S. Wilson Ave.
Pasadena, CA 91106                      [email-masked]
*******************************************************************

[Mailed From: Jeff Behr <[email-masked]>]