Subject: [SCIGN-0465] HOLC
From: Jeff Behr, John Galetzka, Aris Aspiotes, Shannon Van Wyk
Date: 26 Oct 1998 11:08:00

******************************************************************************
SCIGN Electronic Mail    Mon Oct 26 11:08:00 PST 1998      Message Number 0465
******************************************************************************

Author: Jeff Behr, John Galetzka, Aris Aspiotes, Shannon Van Wyk
Subject: HOLC

The HOLC receiver is again properly logging data.  The SCIGN field 
team replaced the antenna cable at the site on day 295.  This cable 
showed oxidation and water damage at the connector which may have 
been present when the site was installed.  We are unable to abso-
lutely state that this is the ultimate fix for the station.  Several 
earlier equipment changes brought the system back online but turned 
out to be only short-term cures.  At this time, we observe no shift 
in apparent station position as a result of this equipment change 
(see http://www-socal.wr.usgs.gov/scign/Analysis/).

It is susected that power to the site is unreliable.  SCIGN-USGS has 
Holcomb Ridge #1 on the list for station upgrade once the new SCIGN
radome has been received and tested.  We hope this switch of radome, 
antenna adaptor and the introduction of solar power will take place 
before mid-December.

We will continue to monitor the station's performance and report any
further degradation in the data.  

Thanks.

*******************************************************************
Jeff Behr, John Galetzka, Aris Aspiotes, Shannon Van Wyk
SCIGN Download and Operations Center                 
U.S. Geological Survey                    
525 S. Wilson Ave.
Pasadena, CA 91106                     
*******************************************************************

[Mailed From: Jeff Behr <[email-masked]>]