Subject: [SCIGN-0046] UNAVCO NSF ARI proposal Subject
From: Yehuda Bock
Date: 27 Jan 1995 20:07:44

******************************************************************************
SCIGN Electronic Mail    Fri Jan 27 20:07:44 PST 1995      Message Number 0046
******************************************************************************

Author: Yehuda Bock
Subject: UNAVCO NSF ARI proposal

Scripps Orbit and Permanent Array Center (SOPAC)
Date: January 27, 1995

Subject: UNAVCO proposal to NSF - letter of intent

SCIGN colleagues:

Attached below is a draft letter to UCAR for UCSD to participate in the
UNAVCO proposal to the NSF ARI. It includes the purchase of 5 new receivers
for the PGGA, and the upgrade of 10 existing PGGA sites.  I would like to 
receive any comments from you regarding this letter, and to inquire whether 
anyone else is proposing to join the UNAVCO proposal.

Note that we are asking for a total of $221K, with 92,500 matching funds
(30%) of which 70k come from UCSD, 12K from Riverside County, 6K from 
Orange County, and 4.5K from Project IDA.

Please comment ASAP since the letter is already late. According to
the latest announcement, about $1.2M has been pledged from many groups.
The maximum is $2.0M, I believe.

If anyone would like a copy of the budget and/or an rtf file with the
letter, let me know.

Thanks,

Yehuda  

Draft Letter:

Mr. Robert Greenwald
Director of Contracts and Risk Management
University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR)
P. O. Box 3000
Boulder, CO 80307-3000

Dear Mr. Greenwald:

The University of California San Diego, Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO) agrees to 
collaborate with the University NAVSTAR Consortium in a proposal to the NSF Academic 
Research Infrastructure (ARI) program for purchase of GPS and ancillary equipment.  We 
understand that cost sharing is 30% for participating institutions.  We expect that title to 
equipment purchased under this program as listed below will he held by my institution and that 
there will be no commitment to time share with other institutions, including UCAR.

We are particularly interested in participating in the Eastern Rim of the Pacific region concept, 
with a small expansion to the greater Pacific Rim. Specifically, we would like to do the 
following:
(1)	Purchase 5 new receivers and ancillary equipment for an expansion of the regional-scale 
Permanent GPS Geodetic Array (PGGA) in southern California to the Channel Islands and 
the Salton trough including Baja California.  The receivers will be dedicated to permanent 
installations in southern California.  Ancillary equipment would include communications 
(high-baud rate modems for radio, cellular or regular phone line operation), power (solar 
panels, if necessary), laptop computer, precise barometer, external rubidium oscillator, and 
equipment housing.  One receiver may participate in MOST type measurements in southern 
California.
(2) 	Purchase 2 new receivers and ancillary equipment for deployment at IDA seismic stations 
which are part of the IRIS Global Seismic Network. Project IDA is coordinated by 
researchers at SIO.  Specifically, we would like to deploy at planned IDA sites in 
Sulawesi, Indonesia and a site in  Las Juntas de Abangares in coastal Costa Rica.  
Ancillary equipment required at this site would include precise barometers, laptop PC and 
modem.  Project IDA would provide matching funds for the housing and power setup. 
These sites would be fully integrated into the global International GPS Service for 
Geodynamics (IGS) and IRIS networks.
(3)	Upgrade 10 existing PGGA installations under operational control of SOPAC with the 
following ancillary equipment: GPS antenna (Dorn-Margolin with choke rings), laptop 
computer, and precise barometer.  (These sites are currently equipped with 9 Ashtech Z-12 
units and 1 Trimble 4000 SSE unit).
Items 1 and 2 are in collaboration with the coordinating committee of the Southern California 
Integrated GPS Network (SCIGN) under the umbrella of the Southern California Earthquake 
Center (SCEC). Item 3 is in collaboration with IRIS/IDA principal investigators, our Indonesian 
colleagues at the Indonesian National Coordination Agency for Surveying and Mapping 
(BAKOSURTANAL), and the IGS. 

We specifically agree to 30% cost sharing in the purchase of the following dual-frequency, high 
accuracy GPS receiver equipment and ancillary equipment required by each receiver as listed in 
the attached budget.  The matching contribution from IDA and the two southern California 
counties may be in funds or in equipment purchased directly by them for use in the project. 

We understand that UCAR/UNAVCO will set specifications and solicit bids from vendors for 
actual equipment and purchase prices, and that our cost sharing will reflect actual options and 
purchase prices which are expected to be equal to or less than the prices listed above.  However, 
based on our extensive experience with 3 types of P-code receivers in permanent operation in 
California and the latest UNAVCO receiver and antenna tests, we prefer Ashtech Z-12 receivers 
and type antenna Dorn-Margolin with choke rings.  We encourage flexibility in choice of 
equipment, depending on particular requirements for each participating institution, and expect to 
be a part of the decision-making process.

	Sincerely yours,

	Yehuda Bock
	Director, Scripps Orbit and Permanent Array Center

cc:	
	Dr. Duncan Agnew (SIO, SCIGN committee)
	Dr. Robin Bell (LDEO, UNAVCO)
	Dr. Jonathan Berger (SIO, Project IDA)
	Dr. Gerhard Beutler (Univ. of Berne, IGS)
	Mr. John Canas (Orange County)
	Dr. Edward Frieman (SIO, Director)
	Dr. Holly Given (SIO, Project IDA)
	Dr. Bradford Hager (MIT)
	Dr. Tom Henyey (SCEC)
	Dr. Ken Hudnut (USGS Pasadena)
	Dr. David Jackson (UCLA)
	Dr. Robert King (MIT)
	Dr. Hiroo Kanamori (Caltech)
	Dr. John Labrecque (NASA)
	Dr. Bernard Minster (Systemwide IGPP)
	Dr. James Mori (USGS Pasadena)
	Ms. Ruth Neilan (JPL, IGS)
	Dr. John Orcutt (SIO, Director, IGPP)
	Dr. David Simpson (IRIS)
	Mr. Gerald Stayner (Riverside County)
	Dr. Paul Suharto (BAKOSURTANAL)
	Dr. Randolph Ware (UCAR UNAVCO)
	Mr. William Young (Riverside County)
	Dr. Dan Weill (NSF)

[Mailed From: [email-masked] (Geodesy Lab account)]