Subject: [SCIGN-0039] NSF Infrastructure Proposal
From: Dave Jackson
Date: 11 Jan 1995 16:13:34

******************************************************************************
SCIGN Electronic Mail    Wed Jan 11 16:13:34 PST 1995      Message Number 0039
******************************************************************************

Author: Dave Jackson 
Subject: NSF Infrastructure Proposal

Dear SCIGNists,
In response to questions by Ken Hudnut and Brad Hager, yes, I at least plan
to go forward with the proposal to NSF Infrastructure for the Mar 1
deadline. UNAVCO will apparently go forward with some proposal, and an
obvious question is whether to join forces or compete. Jeff Freymueller has
set up a UNAVCO discussion bulletin board to collect ideas about how UNAVCO
should proceed. There has been a copious outpouring of discussion, which I
see dividing into two camps: a structured megaproject camp, and a "support
the little guy" camp. I think our task is much simpler, because we don't
have this dichotomy of views. Certainly we must tell UNAVCO what we are
about, and avoid blindsiding them. We should offer to include them if they
would like to join, but we should not compromise our scientific aims
(earthquakes) or our geographical focus (urban So. Calif.). Given this
focus, I suspect that many in UNAVCO will feel that this doesn't help them
with their specific research goals, and they may want to compete with us. 

I like Ken's suggestion of joining forces with the seismic array, but what
do we have to offer them?

Some questions for us, and a few suggested answers:

Q. Do we have anything to offer the UNAVCO community that would induce them
to join forces with us?

A. A specific project that will help UNAVCO decide between the two divergent
approaches; some prospect of success, especially if we join forces; an
organization that doesn't have to be built anew; a head start in
conceptualizing and writing.

Q. Where do we get maching funds? 

A. Beat all bushes: Deans, State of California, Insurance Industry

Q. How do we keep it running?

A. Push NASA, NSF, USGS proposals; we must have some realistic hope of
success before going for big equipment installation. This suggests to me
that we need a fairly modest approach this year.

Best regards, Dave 
#############################################
#   David D. Jackson                        #
#   Southern California Earthquake Center   #
#   Department of Earth & Space Sciences    #
#   UCLA                                    #
#   Los Angeles, CA 90024-1567              #
#   Phone 310-825-0421                      #
#   Fax   310-825-2779                      #
############################################

[Mailed From: Robert Liu <[email-masked]>]