Subject: [SCIGN-0024] LA City Offers to Build a Monument
From: Ken Hudnut
Date: 25 Nov 1994 11:16:30

******************************************************************************
SCIGN Electronic Mail    Fri Nov 25 11:16:30 PST 1994      Message Number 0024
******************************************************************************

Author: Ken Hudnut
Subject: LA City Offers to Build a Monument

Bob Packard from the City of Los Angeles has offered to
monument a site as a test, in support of continuous GPS
monitoring in the LA Dense Array.  He contacted the person
in charge of building street light posts, and the monument
design he is interested in building for us would be a
modification of that design.  Essentially, a large poured
concrete base (~5-10 cu. yards of concrete, going down about
2-3 meters) with a post protruding above ground by several
meters.  If members of our group are interested in having
the City build such a monument, perhaps at one of the sites
JPL has already permitted, the City would build the monument
with a vault-type enclosure, and our obligation would be
to provide power/phone to the vault and then run a receiver
as a test of that monuments' stability.

It seems to me that this presents an opportunity for us
to influence design of an urban-environment monument that
could be built by the City in the future (in case the 250-
station initiative is funded) and to test a monument design
that has potential to be tamper resistant and be stable (if
we are able to influence the design to our liking).

[Mailed From: Ken Hudnut <[email-masked]>]