Subject: [SCIGN-0140] USGS Near Real-Time Auto Processing
From: Ken Hudnut, USGS - Pasadena
Date: 12 Jan 1996 11:50:20

******************************************************************************
SCIGN Electronic Mail    Fri Jan 12 11:50:20 PST 1996      Message Number 0140
******************************************************************************

Author: Ken Hudnut, USGS - Pasadena
Subject: USGS Near Real-Time Auto Processing

As of now, the data from USGS stations in the SCIGN
network's Dense GPS Geodetic Array in the Los Angeles
region are being processed within one day after downloading
by the USGS in Pasadena. As a test, the rapid solutions
from the Pacoima Dam 'pilot' study are now on the WWW at:

<http://tango.gps.caltech.edu/hudnut/dam.html>

The stations that I am now processing in near real-time at 
the USGS Pasadena office are: CHIL, CLAR, CMP9, HOLC, HOLP, LEEP,
LONG, ROCK, DAM1, and DAM2.  I anticipate adding other 
stations of the LA array once this test has proven to be
operational. Initial comparisons between these rapid
solutions and the regional DGGA solutions by SOPAC that
are performed later, with their final orbits, indicate that the
rapid solutions disagree at the worst by 5 mm in horizontal
components and 15 mm in vertical component (for bias-fixed
solution baseline components). This is the case even for the
longest baselines I am now processing. Additional station and
baseline data in near real-time will be added to the WWW
pages soon, and the main USGS Pasadena GPS home page will
provide updated links to new pages.

<http://tango.gps.caltech.edu/>

UNIX scripts for automated GAMIT processing (for these
rapid solutions) are available to anyone interested. The
script sh_auto and several cron drivers are more specific
to this particular task than some of the gamit/com scripts.

I'd like to thank Peng Fang, Burc Oral, Jeff Behr, Eric
Calais, and many others for making their com scripts available.
The near real-time automated processing became much more feasible
with the 9.4 GAMIT release, and I'd like to thank everybody that
worked on that.

[Mailed From: Ken Hudnut <[email-masked]>]