Subject: [IGSREPORT-8529] Wk 1127 GPS Earth Orientation
From: Dennis McCarthy <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:54:12 EDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Report   16 Aug 11:54:14 PDT 2001      Message Number 8529
******************************************************************************

Author: IERS Rapid Service/Prediction Center
Subject: Earth Orientation Contributions to IERS Bulletin A
Date: 16 Aug 01

In this report, individual Earth orientation time series are compared
to the IERS Bulletin A combination.  For further information, including
the raw time series, refer to http://maia.usno.navy.mil/bulletin-a.html.

The first table below shows some comparison results for those series
included in Bulletin A during the last 30 days.  All data are aligned to
the system defined by ITRF94 and the current ICRF by removing a priori mean
bias, rate, annual and semiannual terms.

Units: milliseconds of arc for x, y; milliseconds of time for UT1-UTC

Contributor   Latest      #         Mean          Standard Deviation
Series         Day               (series-BullA)
                                x     y  UT1-UTC    x     y  UT1-UTC

SPbU Int.    52131.79    17               -.008                .018

GSFC Int.    52134.79    17               -.004                .015

IAA VLBI     52122.25     5   -.07  -.01   .001    .13   .14   .005

GSFC VLBI    52122.25     6   -.08   .07   .001    .05   .05   .008

CSR SLR      52133.97    10    .18  -.05  -.007*   .28   .33   .115*

TUD SLR      52095.00    10   -.04   .21           .22   .13

IAA SLR      52135.00    30   -.18   .25           .19   .19

MCC SLR      52129.00    30   -.15   .22           .15   .08

UTX LLR      51867.16     5                .010                .222

IGS Final    52118.50    30    .01  -.01           .03   .04

IGS Rapid    52137.50    19    .00   .01           .03   .07

             52137.50     2               -.001*               .027*

USNO GPS     52136.75    32               -.003*               .025*

EMR GPS      52136.50    22                .001*               .032*

* All satellite techniques provide information on the rate of change of
  Universal Time contaminated by effects due to unmodelled orbit node
  motion.  VLBI-based results have been used to minimize drifts in UT
  estimates.

The following tables show comparisons for other related time series during
the last 30 days.  All IGS series are final solutions except for the USNO
series.  No a priori systematic corrections have been applied.

Units: milliseconds of arc for x, y; milliseconds of time for UT, LOD 

IGS           Latest   #              Mean                Standard Deviation
Series         Day               (series-BullA)
                             x     y     UT*    LOD*    x     y      UT*   LOD*

COD          52132.5  30   -.07   .30  -9.15   .016    .09   .08    .18   .019

ESA          52125.5  30   -.01   .46         -.028    .10   .08          .024

EMR          52125.5  30   -.01   .24 -17.51  -.015    .08   .07    .11   .025

GFZ          52125.5  30   -.09   .29   -.12   .006    .07   .11    .16   .022

JPL          52125.5  30   -.02   .31 -18.71   .006    .06   .06    .10   .036

NGS          52132.5  30    .00   .37         -.020    .17   .18          .058

SIO          52125.5  30   -.04   .33         -.002    .07   .04          .015

USN (Rapid)  52135.5  29   -.07   .27         -.050    .18   .13          .027

USNO GPS UT  52136.5  30                 .28                        .10

IGS Final    52118.5  30    .02   .24    .00   .003    .04   .04    .02   .015

IGS Rapid    52135.5  30   -.03   .26    .04  -.006    .08   .07    .10   .024

* All satellite techniques provide information on the rate of change of
  Universal Time contaminated by effects due to unmodelled orbit node
  motion.  The UT results for COD and JPL are integrations of LOD estimates.
  EMR estimates UT and LOD separately by applying a priori orbit constraints.
  GFZ and IGS use VLBI-based results to minimize drifts in their UT estimates
  and thus the standard deviations are not representative of the intrinsic
  capabilities of GPS alone for monitoring UT variations.  USNO estimates
  UT using long-term models for orbit plane rotations.

IERS Earth Orientation Center Series:

Series       Latest    #          Mean                Standard Deviation
              Day            (series-BullA)
                             x     y  UT1-UTC           x     y  UT1-UTC

Bulletin B   52094.   30   -.05   .11   .008           .05   .04   .026

97C04        52137.   30    .00   .14  -.001           .13   .06   .024

Plots of the residuals are available at http://maia.usno.navy.mil/plots.html.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The IERS Rapid Service/Prediction Center is an activity of the Earth
Orientation Department at the U.S. Naval Observatory.
--
Dennis D. McCarthy                       [email-masked]
Director, Directorate of Time            phone: (202) 762-1837
U.S. Naval Observatory                   fax: (202) 762-1563
Washington, DC 20392-5420