Subject: [IGSREPORT-7529] Wk 1078 GPS Earth Orientation
From: Dennis McCarthy <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 14:24:37 EDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Report   07 Sep 11:24:39 PDT 2000      Message Number 7529
******************************************************************************

Author: IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Predictions

Subject: Earth Orientation Contributions to IERS Bulletin A
Date:  7 Sep 00

In this report, individual Earth orientation time series are compared
to the IERS Bulletin A combination.  For further information, including
the raw time series, refer to http://maia.usno.navy.mil/bulletin-a.html.

The first table below shows some comparison results for those series
included in Bulletin A during the last 30 days.  All data are aligned to
the system defined by ITRF94 and the current ICRF by removing a priori mean
bias, rate, annual and semiannual terms.  (No corrections are applied to 
the NEOS VLBI and the NEOS Intensives series for UT1-UTC.)

Units: milliseconds of arc for x, y; milliseconds of time for UT1-UTC

Contributor   Latest      #         Mean          Standard Deviation
Series         Day               (series-BullA)
                                x     y  UT1-UTC    x     y  UT1-UTC

NEOS Int.    51787.90    16               -.005                .016

SPbU Int.    51786.91    15               -.002                .027

NEOS VLBI    51772.25     5   -.25   .04   .004    .27   .08   .008

IAA VLBI     51772.25     5    .02   .12   .006    .18   .09   .003

CSR SLR      51791.53    11   -.29  -.36  -.027*   .29   .37   .097*

TUD SLR      51780.00    10    .17  -.14           .30   .28

IAA SLR      51792.00    30    .02  -.04           .23   .16

MCC SLR      51787.00    30    .04  -.23           .14   .12

UTX LLR      51781.16     6                .073                .132

IGS Final    51775.50    30    .01   .00           .03   .03

IGS Rapid    51793.50    18    .01   .00           .04   .06

             51793.50     6                .006*               .006*

USNO GPS     51793.75    32               -.007*               .013*

* All satellite techniques provide information on the rate of change of
  Universal Time contaminated by effects due to unmodelled orbit node
  motion.  VLBI-based results have been used to minimize drifts in UT
  estimates.

The following tables show comparisons for other related time series during
the last 30 days.  All IGS series are final solutions except for the USNO
series.  No a priori systematic corrections have been applied.

Units: milliseconds of arc for x, y; milliseconds of time for UT, LOD 

IGS           Latest   #              Mean                Standard Deviation
Series         Day               (series-BullA)
                             x     y     UT*    LOD*    x     y      UT*   LOD*

COD          51789.5  30   -.01   .24  -8.40   .025    .08   .07    .30   .012

ESA          51782.5  30    .08   .40         -.026    .07   .11          .018

EMR          51782.5  30   -.04   .23 -26.63  -.011    .15   .15    .14   .040

GFZ          51782.5  30   -.05   .32    .10  -.030    .08   .08    .10   .024

JPL          51782.5  30    .07   .24 -19.46   .017    .10   .09    .17   .027

NGS          51786.5  30    .01   .25         -.066    .31   .20          .058

SIO          51782.5  30   -.06   .20          .017    .08   .07          .021

USN (Rapid)  51793.5  30    .05   .36         -.056    .14   .17          .025

USNO GPS UT  51793.5  30                1.72                        .03

IGS Final    51775.5  30    .03   .24    .00  -.003    .05   .05    .01   .018

IGS Rapid    51793.5  30    .04   .23    .07  -.019    .07   .08    .05   .019

* All satellite techniques provide information on the rate of change of
  Universal Time contaminated by effects due to unmodelled orbit node
  motion.  The UT results for COD and JPL are integrations of LOD estimates.
  EMR estimates UT and LOD separately by applying a priori orbit constraints.
  GFZ and IGS use VLBI-based results to minimize drifts in their UT estimates
  and thus the standard deviations are not representative of the intrinsic
  capabilities of GPS alone for monitoring UT variations.  USNO estimates
  UT using long-term models for orbit plane rotations.

IERS Central Bureau Series:

Series       Latest    #          Mean                Standard Deviation
              Day            (series-BullA)
                             x     y  UT1-UTC           x     y  UT1-UTC

Bulletin B   51759.   30   -.04   .02  -.010           .09   .07   .019

97C04        51794.   30   -.02   .09   .030           .11   .06   .086

Plots of the residuals are available at http://maia.usno.navy.mil/plots.html.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Prediction is an activity of the
National Earth Orientation Service and is performed by the Earth Orientation
Department at the U.S. Naval Observatory.
--
Dennis D. McCarthy                       [email-masked]
Director, Directorate of Time            phone: (202) 762-1837
U.S. Naval Observatory                   fax: (202) 762-1563
Washington, DC 20392-5420