Subject: [IGSREPORT-6567] Wk 1032 GPS Earth Orientation
From: IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Predictions
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 12:18:49 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Report    Fri Oct 22 12:18:49 PDT 1999      Message Number 6567
******************************************************************************

Author: IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Predictions
Subject: Wk 1032 GPS Earth Orientation

Subject: Earth Orientation Contributions to IERS Bulletin A
Date: 21 Oct 99

In this report, individual Earth orientation time series are compared
to the IERS Bulletin A combination.  For further information, including
the raw time series, refer to http://maia.usno.navy.mil/bulletin-a.html.

The first table below shows some comparison results for those series
included in Bulletin A during the last 30 days.  All data are aligned to
the system defined by ITRF94 and the current ICRF by removing a priori mean
bias, rate, annual and semiannual terms.  (No corrections are applied to 
the NEOS VLBI and the NEOS Intensives series for UT1-UTC.)

Units: milliseconds of arc for x, y; milliseconds of time for UT1-UTC

Contributor   Latest      #         Mean          Standard Deviation
Series         Day               (series-BullA)
                                x     y  UT1-UTC    x     y  UT1-UTC

NEOS Int.    51469.64    24               -.010                .017

SPbU Int.    51463.66    24                .002                .019

NEOS VLBI    51464.25     5   -.10   .10   .003    .07   .19   .002

IAA VLBI     51457.25     5    .09   .14   .003    .21   .19   .010

CSR SLR      51467.85    11   -.13   .04  -.051*   .23   .16   .090*

TUD SLR      51465.00    10   -.21  -.44           .36   .28

IAA SLR      51470.00    30   -.09   .05           .16   .17

MCC SLR      51464.00    30   -.14   .01           .13   .15

IGS Final    51453.50    30    .01  -.01           .03   .05

IGS Rapid    51471.50    18    .00  -.01           .11   .10

             51471.50     2               -.016*               .001*

USNO GPS     51471.50    30                .000*               .017*

EMR GPS      51471.50    22               -.020*               .058*

* All satellite techniques provide information on the rate of change of
  Universal Time contaminated by effects due to unmodelled orbit node
  motion.  VLBI-based results have been used to minimize drifts in UT
  estimates.

The following tables show comparisons for other related time series during
the last 30 days.  All IGS series are final solutions except for the USNO
series.  No a priori systematic corrections have been applied.

Units: milliseconds of arc for x, y; milliseconds of time for UT, LOD 

IGS           Latest   #              Mean                Standard Deviation
Series         Day               (series-BullA)
                             x     y     UT*    LOD*    x     y      UT*   LOD*

COD          51467.5  30    .05   .10  -2.71   .022    .09   .08    .31   .013

ESA          51460.5  30   -.02   .26         -.036    .18   .15          .028

EMR          51460.5  30   -.12   .03 -17.41  -.039    .23   .20    .09   .030

GFZ          51467.5  30   -.02   .25    .03  -.010    .06   .09    .09   .032

JPL          51467.5  30    .03   .20 -17.64  -.002    .07   .10    .06   .036

NGS          51464.5  30    .26   .25         -.053    .26   .22          .079

SIO          51460.5  30    .05   .11         -.022    .09   .11          .033

USN (Rapid)  51471.5  29    .14   .27         -.026    .09   .14          .027

USNO GPS UT  51471.5  30                1.26                        .05

IGS Final    51453.5  30    .04   .22    .00  -.005    .06   .06    .01   .025

IGS Rapid    51471.5  30    .06   .23    .03  -.007    .13   .13    .10   .032

* All satellite techniques provide information on the rate of change of
  Universal Time contaminated by effects due to unmodelled orbit node
  motion.  The UT results for COD and JPL are integrations of LOD estimates.
  EMR estimates UT and LOD separately by applying a priori orbit constraints.
  GFZ and IGS use VLBI-based results to minimize drifts in their UT estimates
  and thus the standard deviations are not representative of the intrinsic
  capabilities of GPS alone for monitoring UT variations.  USNO estimates
  UT using long-term models for orbit plane rotations.

IERS Central Bureau Series:

Series       Latest    #          Mean                Standard Deviation
              Day            (series-BullA)
                             x     y  UT1-UTC           x     y  UT1-UTC

Bulletin B   51424.   30   -.06   .17   .001           .08   .06   .027

97C04        51470.   30   -.03   .16   .030           .05   .10   .064

Plots of the residuals are available at http://maia.usno.navy.mil/plots.html.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Prediction is an activity of the
National Earth Orientation Service and is performed by the Earth Orientation
Department at the U.S. Naval Observatory.
--
Dennis D. McCarthy                       [email-masked]
Director, Directorate of Time            phone: (202) 762-1837
U.S. Naval Observatory                   fax: (202) 762-1563
Washington, DC 20392-5420

[Mailed From: Dennis McCarthy <[email-masked]>]