Subject: [IGSREPORT-5929] Wk 1003 GPS Earth Orientation
From: IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Predictions
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 5:41:05 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Report    Fri Apr  2  5:41:05 PST 1999      Message Number 5929
******************************************************************************

Author: IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Predictions
Subject: Wk 1003 GPS Earth Orientation

Subject: Earth Orientation Contributions to IERS Bulletin A
Date:  1 Apr 99

In this report, individual Earth orientation time series are compared
to the IERS Bulletin A combination.  For further information, including
the raw time series, refer to http://maia.usno.navy.mil/bulletin-a.html.

The first table below shows some comparison results for those series
included in Bulletin A during the last 30 days.  All data are aligned to
the system defined by ITRF94 and the current ICRF by removing a priori mean
bias, rate, annual and semiannual terms.  (No corrections are applied to 
the NEOS VLBI and the NEOS Intensives series for UT1-UTC.)

Units: milliseconds of arc for x, y; milliseconds of time for UT1-UTC

Contributor   Latest      #         Mean          Standard Deviation
Series         Day               (series-BullA)
                                x     y  UT1-UTC    x     y  UT1-UTC

NEOS Int.    51266.70    22                .004                .017

SPbU Int.    51263.71    22               -.002                .019

NEOS VLBI    51261.24     5   -.18   .07  -.003    .10   .04   .008

CSR SLR      51255.17    11   -.17  -.05   .009*   .27   .39   .071*

TUD SLR      51261.00    10   -.45  -.09           .50   .39

IAA SLR      51267.00    30   -.26  -.24           .19   .22

MCC SLR      51261.00    30    .04   .03           .17   .19

UTX LLR      51237.27     9               -.059                .388

IGS Final    51257.50    30    .01   .01           .02   .03

IGS Rapid    51268.50    11    .01   .01           .04   .01

             51268.50     2                .001*               .002*

USNO GPS     51268.50    22               -.004*               .012*

EMR GPS      51267.50    21                .000*               .056*

* All satellite techniques provide information on the rate of change of
  Universal Time contaminated by effects due to unmodelled orbit node
  motion.  VLBI-based results have been used to minimize drifts in UT
  estimates.

The following tables show comparisons for other related time series during
the last 30 days.  All IGS series are final solutions except for the USNO
series.  No a priori systematic corrections have been applied.

Units: milliseconds of arc for x, y; milliseconds of time for UT, LOD 

IGS           Latest   #              Mean                Standard Deviation
Series         Day               (series-BullA)
                             x     y     UT*    LOD*    x     y      UT*   LOD*

COD          51263.5  30    .30   .06   3.56   .034    .10   .10    .38   .017

ESA          51264.5  30    .27   .22         -.029    .15   .16          .023

EMR          51257.5  30    .12   .26 -16.49   .031    .13   .18    .07   .025

GFZ          51264.5  30    .31   .02    .05  -.008    .08   .10    .14   .027

JPL          51257.5  30    .29   .11 -13.68   .007    .10   .11    .13   .081

NGS          51261.5  30    .40  -.11         -.026    .13   .19          .040

SIO          51257.5  30    .34   .09          .025    .06   .11          .036

USN (Rapid)  51268.5  30    .39   .09         -.019    .21   .14          .031

USNO GPS UT  51268.5  30                 .88                        .03

IGS Final    51257.5  30    .31   .09    .00   .003    .05   .06    .01   .025

IGS Rapid    51268.5  30    .37   .07    .05  -.004    .13   .10    .10   .025

* All satellite techniques provide information on the rate of change of
  Universal Time contaminated by effects due to unmodelled orbit node
  motion.  The UT results for COD and JPL are integrations of LOD estimates.
  EMR estimates UT and LOD separately by applying a priori orbit constraints.
  GFZ and IGS use VLBI-based results to minimize drifts in their UT estimates
  and thus the standard deviations are not representative of the intrinsic
  capabilities of GPS alone for monitoring UT variations.  USNO estimates
  UT using long-term models for orbit plane rotations.

IERS Central Bureau Series:

Series       Latest    #          Mean                Standard Deviation
              Day            (series-BullA)
                             x     y  UT1-UTC           x     y  UT1-UTC

Bulletin B   51214.   30    .03   .05  -.012           .06   .09   .020

97C04        51268.   30    .01   .08  -.003           .11   .13   .019

Plots of the residuals are available at http://maia.usno.navy.mil/plots.html.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Prediction is an activity of the
National Earth Orientation Service and is performed by the Earth Orientation
Department at the U.S. Naval Observatory.
--
Dennis D. McCarthy                       [email-masked]
Director, Directorate of Time            phone: (202) 762-1837
U.S. Naval Observatory                   fax: (202) 762-1563
Washington, DC 20392-5420

[Mailed From: Dennis McCarthy <[email-masked]>]