Subject: [IGSREPORT-5698] Wk 0993 GPS Earth Orientation
From: IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Predictions
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 10:18:28 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Report    Mon Jan 25 10:18:28 PST 1999      Message Number 5698
******************************************************************************

Author: IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Predictions
Subject: Wk 0993 GPS Earth Orientation

Subject: Earth Orientation Contributions to IERS Bulletin A
Date: 21 Jan 99

In this report, individual Earth orientation time series are compared
to the IERS Bulletin A combination.  For further information, including
the raw time series, refer to http://maia.usno.navy.mil/bulletin-a.html.

The first table below shows some comparison results for those series
included in Bulletin A during the last 30 days.  All data are aligned to
the system defined by ITRF94 and the current ICRF by removing a priori mean
bias, rate, annual and semiannual terms.  (No corrections are applied to 
the NEOS VLBI and the NEOS Intensives series for UT1-UTC.)

Units: milliseconds of arc for x, y; milliseconds of time for UT1-UTC

Contributor   Latest      #         Mean          Standard Deviation
Series         Day               (series-BullA)
                                x     y  UT1-UTC    x     y  UT1-UTC

NEOS Int.    51194.89    23               -.017                .025

NEOS VLBI    51184.25     5   -.08   .07   .005    .11   .04   .003

CSR SLR      51196.71    11   -.01   .27  -.001*   .56   .38   .109*

TUD SLR      51192.00    10   -.43   .01           .39   .28

IAA SLR      51197.00    30   -.16  -.23           .31   .25

MCC SLR      51191.00    30    .08   .02           .30   .24

UTX LLR      51175.16     3                .138                .121

IGS Final    51187.50    30    .00  -.01           .02   .02

IGS Rapid    51198.50    11    .01  -.02           .04   .07

             51198.50     4               -.015*               .014*

USNO GPS     51198.50    22               -.002*               .023*

EMR GPS      51198.50    22                .015*               .038*

* All satellite techniques provide information on the rate of change of
  Universal Time contaminated by effects due to unmodelled orbit node
  motion.  VLBI-based results have been used to minimize drifts in UT
  estimates.

The following tables show comparisons for other related time series during
the last 30 days.  All IGS series are final solutions except for the USNO
series.  No a priori systematic corrections have been applied.

Units: milliseconds of arc for x, y; milliseconds of time for UT, LOD 

IGS           Latest   #              Mean                Standard Deviation
Series         Day               (series-BullA)
                             x     y     UT*    LOD*    x     y      UT*   LOD*

COD          51194.5  30    .43   .02   4.21   .011    .09   .10    .13   .016

ESA          51187.5  30    .22   .27         -.009    .13   .11          .023

EMR          51187.5  30    .25   .11 -16.15   .009    .20   .15    .19   .036

GFZ          51194.5  30    .33   .00   -.03   .007    .09   .12    .10   .029

JPL          51187.5  30    .19   .03 -12.80   .007    .07   .13    .16   .037

NGS          51186.5  32    .25   .11          .024    .22   .19          .067

SIO          51187.5  30    .29   .17          .017    .11   .10          .038

USN (Rapid)  51198.5  30    .41   .16          .011    .16   .16          .031

USNO GPS UT  51198.5  30                 .95                        .02

IGS Final    51187.5  30    .31   .05   -.01   .004    .06   .09    .02   .025

IGS Rapid    51198.5  30    .33   .10   -.06   .010    .12   .12    .07   .024

* All satellite techniques provide information on the rate of change of
  Universal Time contaminated by effects due to unmodelled orbit node
  motion.  The UT results for COD and JPL are integrations of LOD estimates.
  EMR estimates UT and LOD separately by applying a priori orbit constraints.
  GFZ and IGS use VLBI-based results to minimize drifts in their UT estimates
  and thus the standard deviations are not representative of the intrinsic
  capabilities of GPS alone for monitoring UT variations.  USNO estimates
  UT using long-term models for orbit plane rotations.

IERS Central Bureau Series:

Series       Latest    #          Mean                Standard Deviation
              Day            (series-BullA)
                             x     y  UT1-UTC           x     y  UT1-UTC

Bulletin B   51154.   30    .04   .04  -.002           .06   .11   .023

97C04        51196.   30    .01   .03  -.036           .11   .10   .069

Plots of the residuals are available at http://maia.usno.navy.mil/plots.html.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Prediction is an activity of the
National Earth Orientation Service and is performed by the Earth Orientation
Department at the U.S. Naval Observatory.
--
Dennis D. McCarthy                       [email-masked]
Director, Directorate of Time            phone: (202) 762-1837
U.S. Naval Observatory                   fax: (202) 762-1563
Washington, DC 20392-5420

[Mailed From: Dennis McCarthy <[email-masked]>]