Subject: [IGSREPORT-5509] GPS 0984 GPS Earth Orientation
From: IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Predictions
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 8:22:14 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Report    Fri Nov 20  8:22:14 PST 1998      Message Number 5509
******************************************************************************

Author: IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Predictions
Subject: GPS 0984 GPS Earth Orientation

Subject: Earth Orientation Contributions to IERS Bulletin A
Date: 19 Nov 98

In this report, individual Earth orientation time series are compared
to the IERS Bulletin A combination.  For further information, including
the raw time series, refer to http://maia.usno.navy.mil/bulletin-a.html.

The first table below shows some comparison results for those series
included in Bulletin A during the last 30 days.  All data are aligned to
the system defined by ITRF94 and the current ICRF by removing a priori mean
bias, rate, annual and semiannual terms.  (No corrections are applied to 
the NEOS VLBI and the NEOS Intensives series for UT1-UTC.)

Units: milliseconds of arc for x, y; milliseconds of time for UT1-UTC

Contributor   Latest      #         Mean          Standard Deviation
Series         Day               (series-BullA)
                                x     y  UT1-UTC    x     y  UT1-UTC

NEOS Int.    51131.90    24                .010                .038

NEOS VLBI    51128.25     5   -.09   .07  -.001    .11   .09   .002

CSR SLR      51132.21    10    .17   .05   .080*   .37   .31   .144*

TUD SLR      51123.00    10    .06   .09           .37   .32

IAA SLR      51133.00    30    .12  -.10           .20   .19

MCC SLR      51128.00    30    .02   .04           .22   .26

UTX LLR      51115.10    13               -.014                .169

IGS Final    51124.50    30   -.01   .00           .02   .02

IGS Rapid    51134.50    10    .00   .01           .09   .04

             51134.50     3                .007*               .010*

USNO GPS     51134.50    15                .009*               .023*

EMR GPS      51134.50    15               -.005*               .025*

* All satellite techniques provide information on the rate of change of
  Universal Time contaminated by effects due to unmodelled orbit node
  motion.  VLBI-based results have been used to minimize drifts in UT
  estimates.

The following tables show comparisons for other related time series during
the last 30 days.  All IGS series are final solutions except for the USNO
series.  No a priori systematic corrections have been applied.

Units: milliseconds of arc for x, y; milliseconds of time for UT, LOD 

IGS           Latest   #              Mean                Standard Deviation
Series         Day               (series-BullA)
                             x     y     UT*    LOD*    x     y      UT*   LOD*

COD          51130.5  30    .40  -.09   4.86   .026    .07   .09    .29   .019

ESA          51124.5  30    .34  -.27         -.029    .17   .15          .034

EMR          51131.5  30    .22   .00 -14.96   .019    .13   .15    .27   .038

GFZ          51131.5  30    .29  -.04   -.02   .007    .08   .10    .07   .024

JPL          51124.5  30    .33  -.02 -12.73   .004    .07   .09    .05   .032

NGS          51133.5  30    .33   .08          .040    .18   .27          .064

SIO          51124.5  30    .29  -.06         -.006    .08   .07          .043

USN (Rapid)  51134.5  28    .29   .21         -.023    .17   .11          .037

USNO GPS UT  51134.5  30                 .92                        .04

IGS Final    51124.5  30    .29  -.04    .00   .007    .05   .05    .02   .026

IGS Rapid    51134.5  30    .30  -.01   -.02   .007    .14   .08    .04   .023

* All satellite techniques provide information on the rate of change of
  Universal Time contaminated by effects due to unmodelled orbit node
  motion.  The UT results for COD and JPL are integrations of LOD estimates.
  EMR estimates UT and LOD separately by applying a priori orbit constraints.
  GFZ and IGS use VLBI-based results to minimize drifts in their UT estimates
  and thus the standard deviations are not representative of the intrinsic
  capabilities of GPS alone for monitoring UT variations.  USNO estimates
  UT using long-term models for orbit plane rotations.

IERS Central Bureau Series:

Series       Latest    #          Mean                Standard Deviation
              Day            (series-BullA)
                             x     y  UT1-UTC           x     y  UT1-UTC

Bulletin B   51089.   30    .09  -.06  -.006           .04   .07   .026

97C04        51135.   30    .10  -.01   .012           .08   .17   .041

Plots of the residuals are available at http://maia.usno.navy.mil/plots.html.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Prediction is an activity of the
National Earth Orientation Service and is performed by the Earth Orientation
Department at the U.S. Naval Observatory.
--
Dennis D. McCarthy                       [email-masked]
Director, Directorate of Time            phone: (202) 762-1837
U.S. Naval Observatory                   fax: (202) 762-1563
Washington, DC 20392-5420

[Mailed From: Dennis McCarthy <[email-masked]>]