Subject: [IGSREPORT-4983] Wk 0961 GPS Earth Orientation
From: IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Predictions
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 10:55:25 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Report    Thu Jun 11 10:55:25 PDT 1998      Message Number 4983
******************************************************************************

Author: IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Predictions
Subject: Wk 0961 GPS Earth Orientation

Subject: Earth Orientation Contributions to IERS Bulletin A
Date: 11 Jun 98

In this report, individual Earth orientation time series are compared
to the IERS Bulletin A combination.  For further information, including
the raw time series, refer to http://maia.usno.navy.mil/bulletin-a.html.

The first table below shows some comparison results for those series
included in Bulletin A during the last 30 days.  All data are aligned to
the system defined by ITRF94 and the current ICRF by removing a priori mean
bias, rate, annual and semiannual terms.  (No corrections are applied to 
the NEOS VLBI and the NEOS Intensives series for UT1-UTC.)

Units: milliseconds of arc for x, y; milliseconds of time for UT1-UTC

Contributor   Latest      #         Mean          Standard Deviation
Series         Day               (series-BullA)
                                x     y  UT1-UTC    x     y  UT1-UTC

NEOS Int.    50972.67    23                .008                .017

NEOS VLBI    50967.25     5    .00   .11  -.005    .27   .10   .006

CSR SLR      50969.92    11    .06   .06  -.065*   .26   .27   .077*

TUD SLR      50967.00    10   -.09  -.17           .34   .34

IAA SLR      50970.00    30    .03   .05           .16   .13

MCC SLR      50969.00    14   -.16  -.11           .31   .19

UTX LLR      50971.15     8                .073                .055

IGS Final    50963.50    30    .00  -.01           .03   .03

IGS Rapid    50973.50    10   -.01  -.03           .05   .06

             50973.50     1                .000                 ---

USNO GPS     50973.50    15                .009*               .025*

EMR GPS      50973.50    15                .000*               .018*

* All satellite techniques provide information on the rate of change of
  Universal Time contaminated by effects due to unmodelled orbit node
  motion.  VLBI-based results have been used to minimize drifts in UT
  estimates.

The following tables show comparisons for other related time series during
the last 30 days.  All IGS series are final solutions except for the USNO
series.  No a priori systematic corrections have been applied.

Units: milliseconds of arc for x, y; milliseconds of time for UT, LOD 

IGS           Latest   #              Mean                Standard Deviation
Series         Day               (series-BullA)
                             x     y     UT*    LOD*    x     y      UT*   LOD*

COD          50970.5  30    .26  -.13   6.97   .013    .06   .08    .09   .010

ESA          50970.5  30    .30   .06         -.008    .13   .17          .023

EMR          50970.5  30    .09   .10 -11.60  -.021    .13   .13    .07   .034

GFZ          50970.5  30    .32  -.14    .02   .006    .09   .06    .07   .024

JPL          50963.5  30    .30  -.15  -8.83   .036    .09   .08    .27   .031

NGS          50970.5  30    .38   .37         -.015    .16   .14          .033

SIO          50963.5  30    .33   .13          .011    .09   .12          .044

USN (Rapid)  50973.5  30    .29  -.07          .009    .18   .14          .040

USNO GPS UT  50973.5  30                 .68                        .06

IGS Final    50963.5  30    .29  -.04    .01   .004    .04   .05    .03   .026

IGS Rapid    50973.5  30    .27  -.01    .00   .001    .08   .09    .09   .026

* All satellite techniques provide information on the rate of change of
  Universal Time contaminated by effects due to unmodelled orbit node
  motion.  The UT results for COD and JPL are integrations of LOD estimates.
  EMR estimates UT and LOD separately by applying a priori orbit constraints.
  GFZ and IGS use VLBI-based results to minimize drifts in their UT estimates
  and thus the standard deviations are not representative of the intrinsic
  capabilities of GPS alone for monitoring UT variations.  USNO estimates
  UT using long-term models for orbit plane rotations.

IERS Central Bureau Series:

Series       Latest    #          Mean                Standard Deviation
              Day            (series-BullA)
                             x     y  UT1-UTC           x     y  UT1-UTC

Bulletin B   50939.   30    .15  -.06  -.006           .11   .08   .019

97C04        50974.   30    .14  -.09  -.009           .13   .09   .014

Plots of the residuals are available at http://maia.usno.navy.mil/plots.html.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Prediction is an activity of the
National Earth Orientation Service and is performed by the Earth Orientation
Department at the U.S. Naval Observatory.
--
Dennis D. McCarthy                       [email-masked]
Director, Directorate of Time            phone: (202) 762-1837
U.S. Naval Observatory                   fax: (202) 762-1563
Washington, DC 20392-5420

[Mailed From: Dennis McCarthy <[email-masked]>]