Subject: [IGSREPORT-4887] Wk 0957 GPS Earth Orientation
From: IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Predictions
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 7:21:54 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Report    Thu May 14  7:21:54 PDT 1998      Message Number 4887
******************************************************************************

Author: IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Predictions
Subject: Wk 0957 GPS Earth Orientation

Subject: Earth Orientation Contributions to IERS Bulletin A
Date: 14 May 98

In this report, individual Earth orientation time series are compared
to the IERS Bulletin A combination.  For further information, including
the raw time series, refer to http://maia.usno.navy.mil/bulletin-a.html.

The first table below shows some comparison results for those series
included in Bulletin A during the last 30 days.  All data are aligned to
the system defined by ITRF94 and the current ICRF by removing a priori mean
bias, rate, annual and semiannual terms.  (No corrections are applied to 
the NEOS VLBI and the NEOS Intensives series for UT1-UTC.)

Units: milliseconds of arc for x, y; milliseconds of time for UT1-UTC

Contributor   Latest      #         Mean          Standard Deviation
Series         Day               (series-BullA)
                                x     y  UT1-UTC    x     y  UT1-UTC

NEOS Int.    50942.92    22               -.002                .021

NEOS VLBI    50939.25     5   -.25   .00   .000    .20   .14   .005

CSR SLR      50942.95    11   -.25  -.34  -.005*   .31   .29   .062*

TUD SLR      50940.00    10   -.17  -.32           .40   .49

IAA SLR      50945.00    30    .09  -.15           .26   .19

MCC SLR      50940.00    10    .10  -.17           .16   .15

UTX LLR      50938.12     8                .085                .103

IGS Final    50935.50    30    .02   .03           .04   .03

IGS Rapid    50945.50    10    .01  -.01           .07   .09

             50945.50     3               -.012*               .034*

USNO GPS     50945.50    15                .008*               .021*

EMR GPS      50945.50    15                .002*               .027*

* All satellite techniques provide information on the rate of change of
  Universal Time contaminated by effects due to unmodelled orbit node
  motion.  VLBI-based results have been used to minimize drifts in UT
  estimates.

The following tables show comparisons for other related time series during
the last 30 days.  All IGS series are final solutions except for the USNO
series.  No a priori systematic corrections have been applied.

Units: milliseconds of arc for x, y; milliseconds of time for UT, LOD 

IGS           Latest   #              Mean                Standard Deviation
Series         Day               (series-BullA)
                             x     y     UT*    LOD*    x     y      UT*   LOD*

COD          50942.5  30    .36  -.02   7.21   .014    .07   .07    .08   .019

ESA          50935.5  30    .40   .08         -.023    .12   .10          .038

EMR          50942.5  30    .00   .34 -11.42  -.021    .15   .17    .07   .040

GFZ          50942.5  30    .43  -.11    .04  -.009    .07   .10    .06   .034

JPL          50935.5  30    .30  -.08  -8.25   .006    .10   .09    .08   .034

NGS          50942.5  30    .24   .15         -.025    .26   .29          .040

SIO          50935.5  30    .16  -.05          .004    .16   .19          .033

USN (Rapid)  50945.5  30    .16   .09         -.004    .20   .18          .046

USNO GPS UT  50945.5  30                 .46                        .06

IGS Final    50935.5  30    .31   .00   -.01   .002    .06   .05    .02   .024

IGS Rapid    50945.5  30    .31   .03   -.08   .008    .10   .09    .07   .028

* All satellite techniques provide information on the rate of change of
  Universal Time contaminated by effects due to unmodelled orbit node
  motion.  The UT results for COD and JPL are integrations of LOD estimates.
  EMR estimates UT and LOD separately by applying a priori orbit constraints.
  GFZ and IGS use VLBI-based results to minimize drifts in UT estimates.
  USNO estimates UT using long-term models for orbit plane rotations.

IERS Central Bureau Series:

Series       Latest    #          Mean                Standard Deviation
              Day            (series-BullA)
                             x     y  UT1-UTC           x     y  UT1-UTC

Bulletin B   50904.   30    .12  -.04  -.025           .07   .08   .044

97C04        50946.   30    .22  -.08  -.033           .13   .10   .061

Plots of the residuals are available at http://maia.usno.navy.mil/plots.html.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Prediction is an activity of the
National Earth Orientation Service and is performed by the Earth Orientation
Department at the U.S. Naval Observatory.
--
Dennis D. McCarthy                       [email-masked]
Director, Directorate of Time            phone: (202) 762-1837
U.S. Naval Observatory                   fax: (202) 762-1563
Washington, DC 20392-5420

[Mailed From: Dennis McCarthy <[email-masked]>]