Subject: [IGSREPORT-4863] Wk 0956 GPS Earth Orientation
From: IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Predictions
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 10:18:35 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Report    Thu May  7 10:18:35 PDT 1998      Message Number 4863
******************************************************************************

Author: IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Predictions
Subject: Wk 0956 GPS Earth Orientation

Subject: Earth Orientation Contributions to IERS Bulletin A
Date:  7 May 98

In this report, individual Earth orientation time series are compared
to the IERS Bulletin A combination.  For further information, including
the raw time series, refer to http://maia.usno.navy.mil/bulletin-a.html.

The first table below shows some comparison results for those series
included in Bulletin A during the last 30 days.  All data are aligned to
the system defined by ITRF94 and the current ICRF by removing a priori mean
bias, rate, annual and semiannual terms.  (No corrections are applied to 
the NEOS VLBI and the NEOS Intensives series for UT1-UTC.)

Units: milliseconds of arc for x, y; milliseconds of time for UT1-UTC

Contributor   Latest      #         Mean          Standard Deviation
Series         Day               (series-BullA)
                                x     y  UT1-UTC    x     y  UT1-UTC

NEOS Int.    50931.61    24                .001                .024

NEOS VLBI    50932.25     5   -.22  -.01  -.001    .22   .07   .004

CSR SLR      50936.40    11   -.33  -.29  -.028*   .29   .18   .052*

TUD SLR      50934.00    10   -.27  -.30           .31   .52

IAA SLR      50938.00    30   -.01  -.19           .20   .11

MCC SLR      50934.00    10    .06  -.08           .24   .25

UTX LLR      50938.12     8                .076                .096

IGS Final    50928.50    30    .02   .03           .04   .03

IGS Rapid    50938.50    10    .02   .00           .09   .03

             50938.50     7               -.088*               .087*

USNO GPS     50938.50    15                .009*               .032*

EMR GPS      50938.50    15                .006*               .039*

* All satellite techniques provide information on the rate of change of
  Universal Time contaminated by effects due to unmodelled orbit node
  motion.  VLBI-based results have been used to minimize drifts in UT
  estimates.

The following tables show comparisons for other related time series during
the last 30 days.  All IGS series are final solutions except for the USNO
series.  No a priori systematic corrections have been applied.

Units: milliseconds of arc for x, y; milliseconds of time for UT, LOD 

IGS           Latest   #              Mean                Standard Deviation
Series         Day               (series-BullA)
                             x     y     UT*    LOD*    x     y      UT*   LOD*

COD          50935.5  30    .38  -.03   7.29   .018    .06   .06    .12   .019

ESA          50928.5  30    .37   .08         -.033    .13   .10          .029

EMR          50935.5  30    .00   .37 -11.42  -.014    .21   .18    .07   .042

GFZ          50928.5  30    .39  -.06    .05  -.022    .11   .09    .07   .026

JPL          50928.5  30    .29  -.09  -8.21   .005    .11   .10    .07   .035

NGS          50935.5  30    .31   .12         -.022    .27   .32          .041

SIO          50928.5  30    .20  -.09          .001    .19   .18          .029

USN (Rapid)  50938.5  30    .16   .15         -.014    .15   .14          .044

USNO GPS UT  50938.5  30                 .41                        .06

IGS Final    50928.5  30    .31   .00   -.01  -.002    .06   .05    .02   .021

IGS Rapid    50938.5  30    .34   .05   -.01   .000    .11   .11    .12   .032

* All satellite techniques provide information on the rate of change of
  Universal Time contaminated by effects due to unmodelled orbit node
  motion.  The UT results for COD and JPL are integrations of LOD estimates.
  EMR estimates UT and LOD separately by applying a priori orbit constraints.
  GFZ and IGS use VLBI-based results to minimize drifts in UT estimates.
  USNO estimates UT using long-term models for orbit plane rotations.

IERS Central Bureau Series:

Series       Latest    #          Mean                Standard Deviation
              Day            (series-BullA)
                             x     y  UT1-UTC           x     y  UT1-UTC

Bulletin B   50904.   30    .12  -.04  -.026           .07   .08   .044

97C04        50938.   30    .16  -.01  -.019           .10   .11   .055

Plots of the residuals are available at http://maia.usno.navy.mil/plots.html.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The IERS Sub-bureau for Rapid Service and Prediction is an activity of the
National Earth Orientation Service and is performed by the Earth Orientation
Department at the U.S. Naval Observatory.
--
Dennis D. McCarthy                       [email-masked]
Director, Directorate of Time            phone: (202) 762-1837
U.S. Naval Observatory                   fax: (202) 762-1563
Washington, DC 20392-5420

[Mailed From: Dennis McCarthy <[email-masked]>]