Subject: [IGSMAIL-0929] Status of MacQuarie Island
From: Martin Hendy
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 20:09:15 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Wed Apr  5 20:09:15 PDT 1995      Message Number 0929
******************************************************************************

Author: Martin Hendy
Subject: Status of MacQuarie Island

Subject: Cessation of MacQuarie Island (Macca)

It has just been brought to my attention that an advisory on MacQuarie Island 
data I thought had been sent was in fact not.

My apologies to all who were using the data from this site. Herewith a new
notice of the situation.

Early this year the Mac1 site failed to operate. The cause was a severely
corroded antenna which rendered the entire system inoperative. Due to the 
location of Macca and shipping schedules it has not been possible to replace
the antenna yet. Also the demise of the antenna in such a short time has led
to the complete redesign of the pillar mounting and antenna cover for this 
site. I suspect that the new setup will set a record for the $ cost of any
antenna mount around the world, and will be a record for the amount of 
stainless steel used for a pillar mount. Anyway we are hoping the effort will
make this a "permanent" site ( we also hope the pillar won't settle under the
weight!). Macca is a perenially wet windy site about 50 m from the ocean and 
constantly blasted with wet salt air and rain. If you ever see the sun at 
Macca you are extremely lucky!

I hope to have the Macca site operational again sometime late April / early May
and I will ensure that an email IS posted this time, but you will also know
as the data will start flowing again.

Regards
Martin Hendy
AUSLIG

[Mailed From: Martin Hendy - geodesy - UnixMail <[email-masked]>]