Subject: [IGSMAIL-0826] Call for papers
From: Bernard Minster
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 1995 14:28:06 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Thu Jan  5 14:28:06 PST 1995      Message Number 0826
******************************************************************************

Author: Bernard Minster
Subject: Call for papers

                       Subject:                               Time:9:06 AM
  OFFICE MEMO          Call for papers                        Date:1/5/95

                        CALL FOR PAPERS

*********************************************************
**   Note that abstract deadline is February 1, 1995   **
**      See August 23, 1994, EOS for Instructions      **
**  Abstracts must be submitted in standard AGU format **
**   to American Geophysical Union by deadline date.   **
*********************************************************

International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics
XXI General Assembly
July 2-14, 1995

Full day session of joint IAG-IASPEI Symposium G JS1
on Thursday, July 6th , 1995  am&pm

Crustal Deformation along plate boundaries
Convenors:        Jean-Bernard Minster

Abstract Deadline: February 1, 1995.

Send original  +  2 copies to AGU plus one additional copy to the convenor.

A joint IASPEI/IAG Symposium at the 28th IUGG General Assembly in Boulder

TITLE :                   Crustal Deformation along Plate Boundaries
CONVENOR(S) :  Jean-Bernard Minster (La Jolla, US)

Scope : 

Over the past two decades, space geodesy has "come of age," and has evolved
from an experimental discipline to one of the most important tools available
to scientists interested in active tectonics.  It now permits detailed
measurements of tectonic motions over spatial and temporal scales never
before accessible to Earth scientists.  With the ubiquitous accessibility of
inexpensive techniques such as the Global Positioning System (GPS) and with
the deployment and operation of precise global international geodetic
networks and of dense regional permanent networks, the short-term kinematics
of plate boundary deformation zones on continents-where the rigid plate
paradigm is inadequate- can now be elucidated in a global reference frame,
and compared with long-term geological interpretations.  This opens new
exciting possibilities for a new, improved understanding of the geomechanics
of these regions.  This interdisciplinary symposium invites papers dealing
with the geodetic aspects of the problem, including descriptions of novel
techniques and special network deployments; with the geophysical aspects,
specifically the seismic and volcanic cycles; and with the geodynamical
aspects, including in particular rheological and dynamical models of the
lithosphere and asthenophere, as well as fault zone mechanics.  Papers
dealing with applications of such studies to the characterization and
mitigation of natural disasters are especially welcome.

Convenor:

Jean-Bernard Minster
email:   [email-masked]
Phone:   (619) 534-56540
Fax:       (619) 534-9859
University of California, San Diego
Scripps Institution of Oceanography
Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics  A-025
La Jolla, California 92093-0225  USA

[Mailed From: Robert Liu <[email-masked]>]