Subject: [IGSMAIL-0821] IGS New Years
From: R. Neilan
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 1994 15:46:01 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Fri Dec 30 15:46:01 PST 1994      Message Number 0821
******************************************************************************

Author: R. Neilan
Subject: IGS New Years

Subject: IGS New Years

Dear Colleagues,

The clock continues ticking, and here we are, 1994 is nearly complete!  This
year has been busy and productive for the IGS and I will recount briefly some
of the major IGS occurrences of the year, : 

  - IGS established as a permanent IAG service 1 January 1994, (Happy 
    'First ' Birthday to us all!),
  - IGS Mail and the Central Bureau Information Service established,
  - AS turned 'on' 31 January,
  - Official IGS Orbits produced by IGS Analysis Center Coordinator, 
    Jan Kouba and his excellent team at the NRCan, Canada, provide IGS     
    official combined orbits with a quality (at end of 1994) of ~10 cm 
    rms per satellite coordinate, enabling users to achieve extremely 
    good results without further orbit determination AND place their 
    GPS observations in the global ITRF,
  - First joint IERS/IGS workshop in March, held in Paris,
  - The number of IGS stations grew from 48 to 76! some stations greatly     
    improving the global coverage such as Kitab, Casey, Davis, 
    Kerguelen, and Easter Island,
  - IGS Densification Workshop held at IGS Central Bureau/JPL in     
    December.

The workshop of this last month leads us into 1995 with a full schedule of
plans and activities.  The densification of the network and plans for
coordinated, distributed analysis to support the ITRF will keep many of us busy
through this next year (and beyond!).

As we look back over the accomplishments of this past year, it is appropriate
to say that these successes have been the result of a  truly international
effort. We can attribute these successes to the enthusiasm, friendships and
spirit of collaboration that bring us together.

On behalf of the Central Bureau, I wish you all a very festive holiday and a
new year full of peace, grace and fulfillment -- with just a few surprises in
the mix!

Best wishes,
Ruth

========================================================================
Ruth E. Neilan                     Telephone:   (818)-354-8330
IGS Central Bureau                 FAX:         (818)-393-6686
Jet Propulsion Laboratory          Email:       [email-masked]
MS 238-540                         (personal):  [email-masked]
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA 91109
========================================================================

[Mailed From: "Ruth E. Neilan, JPL" <[email-masked]>]