Subject: [IGSMAIL-6139]: updated IERS Conventions Chapters 5, 6, 7 (complete message)
From: Gérard Petit <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 18:27:50 +0200

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      28 Apr 09:37:28 PDT 2010      Message Number 6139
******************************************************************************

Author: Girard Petit (IERS Conventions Center)

Information on the updates to the IERS Conventions (This message replaces an
incomplete message with the same subject sent minutes ago)

The IERS Conventions Center informs of the following updates:

Chapter 5 "Transformation between the International Terrestrial Reference
System and Geocentric Celestial Reference System" has been updated on
28 April 2010, see http://tai.bipm.org/iers/convupdt/convupdt_c5.html.

Corrections to tables 5.2a, 5.2b, 5.2d, 5.2e, 5.2f, 5.3a, 5.3b in the ftp
page:
Some equations in the headers had typos (noted by C. Hohenkerk).
The numbers in the tables and the equations in Chapter 5 are not affected.

Chapter 6 "Geopotential" has been updated on 28 April 2010, see
http://tai.bipm.org/iers/convupdt/convupdt_c6.html.

A new conventional geopotential model is presented in section 6.1.
It is based on the EGM2008 model but for some of the low-degree coefficients
the value and rate have been adopted from other sources, see the text.
Changes in numbering (sections, tables, equations) occur in the rest of the
chapter but the content is unchanged except in the section "treatment of the
permanent tide" now numbered 6.2.2.
Main contributors: F. Flechtner, F. Lemoine, N. Pavlis, J. Ray, J. Ries.

Chapter 7 "Displacement of reference points" has been updated on
28 April 2010, see http://tai.bipm.org/iers/convupdt/convupdt_c7.html.

A new conventional mean pole model, to be referenced as the IERS (2010) mean
pole model, is given in section 7.1.4. It is to be used to compute "wobble
parameters" for pole tide effects and to compute the C21 and S21
geopotential coefficients.
Main contributors: D. Gambis, J. Ray, J. Ries

Girard Petit and Brian Luzum
IERS Conventions Center

----------------------------------------
Gerard Petit
Time, frequency and gravimetry department, BIPM
Address: Pavillon de Breteuil
         92312 Sevres  FRANCE
Phone: (33)1-45077067
FAX: (33)1-45077059
E-mail: [email-masked]