Subject: [IGSMAIL-6060]: Call for special issue 'CONT08' in Journal of Geodesy
From: "Behrend, Dirk (GSFC-698.0)[NVI INC]" <[email-masked]>
To: "'IVS Mail'" <[email-masked]>, IGSmail <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:49:02 -0600

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      25 Jan 20:49:05 PST 2010      Message Number 6060
******************************************************************************

Author: Axel Nothnagel, Urs Hugentobler, David Salstein

Dear Colleagues,

Between August 12 and August 26, 2008 the International VLBI Service
for Geodesy and Astrometry has observed the so-called CONT08 campaign
of 15 days of uninterrupted VLBI observations for Earth orientation
studies. The other space-geodetic services as well as science partners
in other geodynamical disciplines had been asked to consider dedicated
observing sessions at the same time period.

About a year later, the data should all be analyzed and interesting
results have been produced in many locations. So, the idea was developed
to bring together the results related to the CONT08 period in a joint
Special Issue of Journal of Geodesy (JoG). A pre-call for papers has
indicated enough interest to warrant a sufficient number of submissions
and JoG will set up an appropriate entry in their Editorial Manager. We
can, thus, move forward in now issuing a full call for papers for a
Special Issue.

The scope of the papers may cover scientific analyses and research
investigations of all types of measurements carried out during the
CONT08 period for Earth orientation studies and related disciplines
as well as aspects of modeling of the data acquired and interpretation
of the results obtained. In particular, the Special Issue should also
document the level of interdisciplinary research which has been
carried out with observations during the CONT08 campaign.

If you want to contribute a paper to a Special Issue on CONT08,
please submit your full manuscript to JoG through the Editorial
Manager (http://www.editorialmanager.com/joge) until May 31, 2010,
for peer-review. We have at maximum about 100 pages available (one
issue) which will permit about 7 - 9 papers to be published. It
should be emphasized that the contributions will go through the
same critical review process as any other JoG paper eliminating
any incomplete studies or unsatisfactory work. Papers should be
focused on special topics and duplications of the main issues
should be avoided as much as possible. If manuscripts for more than
about 100 pages will be accepted, we reserve the right to restrict
the volume of the Special Issue to the most central papers and shift
any others to regular issues of JoG. The final decision of
publication remains, as always, with the Editor-in-Chief of JoG.

Yours sincerely,

Axel Nothnagel ([email-masked])
Urs Hugentobler ([email-masked])
David Salstein ([email-masked])
Guest Editors to Journal of Geodesy