Subject: [IGSMAIL-6026]: IGARSS 2010 Session on "Remote Sensing of Tsunamis and Other Natural Hazards Using GNSS and Radar Measurements"
From: "Komjathy, Attila (335G)" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:35:12 -0800

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      16 Nov 16:35:35 PST 2009      Message Number 6026
******************************************************************************

Author: Attila Komjathy

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to bring your attention to the Remote Sensing of Tsunamis and Other Natural Hazards Using GNSS and Radar Measurements Session at the upcoming IEEE International
Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, IGARSS 2010, organized by Prof. Mike Hickey and myself, in Honolulu, Hawaii, on July 25-30, 2010. Please let us know if you are
interested in sharing your perspectives on this exciting and rapidly developing field. Should you be interested, we would need a working title of potential contributions by
Sunday, Nov 22 (or ASAP please due to limited number of presentation slots available). Please see the session abstract below.

For more information please see http://www.igarss2010.org/.

Please feel free to distribute this message to your colleagues. My apologies for multiple postings.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Attila Komjathy
NASA/JPL/Caltech
Email: <[email-masked]>

Michael Hickey
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Email: <[email-masked]>

ABSTRACT

Remote Sensing of Tsunamis and Other Natural Hazards Using GNSS and Radar Measurements

GNSS remote sensing techniques have shown the potential to be extremely useful in monitoring earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, land slides, snow avalanches and other natural
hazards that could potentially impact thousands of human lives and cause economic and other damages. This session is intended to focus on new and existing uses of GNSS and radar
measurements for monitoring, mapping, and assessing the feasibility of early warning of natural hazards.  Topics may include use of ground and space-based direct or reflected
satellite measurements, advanced modeling and simulation techniques, and novel analysis tools moving toward natural hazard warning systems.  The session will also discuss ongoing
real-time GNSS installations worldwide including applications to utilize real-time streams of GPS station positions or ionospheric total electron content.

We particularly encourage submissions to better understand the process of tsunami-atmosphere-ionosphere coupling. A practical motivation is to determine if ionospheric sounding
using direct or reflected GNSS or radar (such as Over-the-Horizon, OTH) measurements can provide a robust method of tsunami warning. Ionospheric sounding could potentially be
incorporated into a tsunami early warning system and complement the more traditional methods including tide gauges and ocean buoys. We solicit presentations to discuss recent
advances in monitoring TEC perturbations using GNSS observing system, modeling TEC perturbations triggered by gravity waves, characterizing sensitivity of the ionospheric
signature to tsunamis and various tsunami detection methods based on ionospheric sounding.

Dr. Attila Komjathy
NASA - Jet Propulsion Laboratory
4800 Oak Grove Drive, M/S 138-308C
Pasadena, CA 91109, USA

Tel:   818-393-6828
Fax:   818-393-5115
Email: [email-masked]