Subject: [IGSMAIL-5911]: Geodetic research vacancy at Newcastle University
From: Peter Clarke <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Peter Clarke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 12:59:04 +0000

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      04 Mar 04:59:13 PST 2009      Message Number 5911
******************************************************************************

Author: Peter Clarke
Subject:  Geodetic research vacancy at Newcastle University

[with apologies for cross-posting to related lists]

Dear Colleagues

Applications for the following post are invited from candidates holding
a PhD (or expecting the imminent award of one) in geodesy or geophysics.
Please draw it to the attention of potentially interested parties.

NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY

SCHOOL OF CIVIL ENGINEERING AND GEOSCIENCES

RESEARCH ASSOCIATE IN GEODESY (ref D478R)

Starting salary GBP 27,183 - GBP 28,839 per annum
(with potential progression to GBP 35,469)

Please apply on line at http://www.ncl.ac.uk/vacancies/
Closing date: 31 March 2009

Based in the School of Civil Engineering & Geosciences, you will
join the Newcastle Geodesy team and carry out research related to
determining large scale movement of water mass by measuring
deformation of the Earth and changes in the Earth's gravity field.
The aim of the project is to develop an integrated observation
model using gravity measurements from GRACE and SLR, and
measurements of the Earth's shape from GPS.  In addition, the
results will improve the realisation of the Terrestrial Reference
Frame used throughout the Earth Sciences and in particular for
altimetric and tide gauge estimates of sea level rise.  Where
appropriate, you will publish your results in leading international
journals.  You will also have the opportunity to participate in the
development of new projects, the acquisition of new funding
streams, and be encouraged to (continue to) develop a personal
research portfolio.

You should hold a PhD (or be expecting the imminent award of one)
in geodesy or a related branch of solid Earth geophysics, and have
a proven or emerging track record of self motivated progress in
academic research, including publication in peer-reviewed journals.
This post is available for 30 months in the first instance, but
with the potential for continuation as a strategic member of the
geodesy research group, depending on funding and performance.

Informal enquiries about the post (no applications please) may be
directed to Professor Peter Clarke [email-masked] or telephone
+44 (0)191 2226351.

--
Peter J. CLARKE  MA DPhil FHEA FRAS
Professor of Geophysical Geodesy
http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/peter.clarke/

School of Civil Engineering & Geosciences,
G.12 Cassie Building, Newcastle University,
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU, UK
http://www.ceg.ncl.ac.uk/

Tel:     +44 (0)191 222 6351 (direct) or 6323
Fax:     +44 (0)191 222 6502
e-mail:  [email-masked]