Subject: [IGSMAIL-5872]: EGU Session G8
From: Richard Gross <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: Richard Gross <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 12:40:46 -0800

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      24 Dec 12:41:03 PST 2008      Message Number 5872
******************************************************************************

Author: Richard Gross

Dear Colleagues -

As part of the 2009 General Assembly of the European Geosciences  
Union that will be held in Vienna, Austria during 19-24 April 2009,  
Hans-Peter Plag, Markus Rothacher and I are convening session G8 on  
"The Global Geodetic Observing System: Ground and Space-based  
Infrastructure for Earth Science". The description of the session is  
given below.

We would like to draw your attention to this session and encourage  
you to participate in it. The deadline for submitting abstracts is 13  
January 2009.

Hope to see you in Vienna!

Best regards,
Richard Gross, Hans-Peter Plag, Markus Rothacher

.................................

G8: The Global Geodetic Observing System: Ground and Space-based  
Infrastructure for Earth Science

The Global Geodetic Observing System (GGOS) provides measurements of  
the time varying gravity, rotation, and shape of the Earth using  
instruments located on the ground and in space. These measurements  
need to be accurate to better than a part per billion in order to  
advance our understanding of the underlying processes that are  
causing the Earth's rotation, gravity, and shape to change. Mass  
transport in the global water cycle, sea level change, and crustal  
deformation associated with geohazards are examples of particularly  
demanding applications of geodetic measurement systems. Designing the  
ground- and space-based instruments that are needed to provide  
geodetic measurements of the accuracy and stability required for  
these and other applications are an ongoing challenge for GGOS. This  
session will be a forum for discussing demanding scientific  
applications of global geodetic measurement systems and the ground-  
and space-based infrastructure that is needed to fulfill those demands.

Richard S. Gross
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Mail Stop 238-600
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA 91109, USA
Tel.: +1 818-354-4010
Fax: +1 818-393-4965
E-mail: [email-masked]

Hans-Peter Plag
Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology and Seismological Laboratory
Universiy of Nevada, Reno
Mailstop 178
NV, 89557 Reno
United States of America
Tel.: +1 775-784-6691
Fax: +1 775-784-1709
E-mail: [email-masked]

Markus Rothacher
Department 1: Geodesy & Remote Sensing
Helmholtz Centre Potsdam GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences
Telegrafenberg A 17, 14473 Potsdam, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0)331/288-1100
Fax: +49 (0)331/288-1111
E-mail: [email-masked]