Subject: [IGSMAIL-5849]: Research vacancy at Newcastle University
From: "Peter Clarke" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 15:50:00 -0000

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      31 Oct 08:53:06 PDT 2008      Message Number 5849
******************************************************************************

Author: Peter Clarke
Subject:  Geodetic research vacancy at Newcastle University

[with apologies for cross-posting to related lists]

Dear Colleagues

Applications for the following post are invited from candidates holding
a PhD (or expecting the imminent award of one) in geodesy, geophysics,
or a closely related aspect of physical oceanography.  Please draw it to
the attention of potentially interested parties.

NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY

SCHOOL OF CIVIL ENGINEERING AND GEOSCIENCES

RESEARCH ASSOCIATE IN GEODESY (ref D423R)

GBP 27,183 - GBP 28,839 per annum
(with potential progression to GBP 35,469)

Please apply on line at http://www.ncl.ac.uk/vacancies/
Closing date: 18 November 2008

Based in the School of Civil Engineering & Geosciences you will join
the Newcastle Geodesy team and carry out research related to the
measurement of sea level change, alongside collaborators from the NERC
Proudman Oceanographic Laboratory and a variety of European and US
institutions.  The research project that you will work on is funded by
the Strategic Oceans Funding Initiative of the UK Natural Environmental
Research Council (NERC).  You will develop an integrated framework to
interpret global gravity change, deformation and altimetry data in
terms of steric and non- steric sea level changes.  Where appropriate,
you will publish your results in leading international journals. You
will also have the opportunity to participate in the development of new
projects, the acquisition of new funding streams, and be encouraged to
(continue to) develop a personal research portfolio.

Preferably, you should have experience in satellite radar altimetry,
or satellite measurement of global gravity field changes, but
experience of other related geodetic, oceanographic or geophysical
expertise and a desire to broaden your skill base into these areas
would also be welcome.  You should hold a PhD (or be expecting the
imminent award of one) in geodesy or a closely related aspect of
physical oceanography or geophysics.

This position is available immediately, for three years in the first
instance but with the expectation of continuation as a strategic
member of the geodesy research group, depending on funding and
performance.

Informal enquiries about the post (no applications please) may be
directed to Professor Peter Clarke [email-masked] or telephone
+44 (0)191 2226351.

--
Peter J. CLARKE  MA DPhil FHEA FRAS
Professor of Geophysical Geodesy
http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/peter.clarke/

School of Civil Engineering & Geosciences,
G.12 Cassie Building, Newcastle University,
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU, UK
http://www.ceg.ncl.ac.uk/

Tel:     +44 (0)191 222 6351 (direct) or 6323
Fax:     +44 (0)191 222 6502
e-mail:  [email-masked]