Subject: [IGSMAIL-5817]: GGOS Session at Fall AGU Meeting
From: Richard Gross <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: Richard Gross <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 15:33:50 -0700

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      19 Aug 15:34:03 PDT 2008      Message Number 5817
******************************************************************************

Author: Richard Gross
Subject: GGOS Session at Fall AGU Meeting

Dear Colleagues -

As part of the 2008 Fall Meeting of the AGU that will be held in San
Francisco, California during 15-19 December 2008 there will be a
session on "The Global Geodetic Observing System: Science and
Instrumentation. The description of the session is given below.

On behalf of the conveners I would like to draw your attention to
this session and encourage you to participate in it. We are
developing a rich session that will describe the Global Geodetic
Observing System, its instrumentation and use in addressing
geodetically demanding scientific topics like global sea level
change, glacial isostatic adjustment, and Earth deformation. We hope
that you will be able to join us in San Francisco for this exciting
session.  More information about the 2008 Fall Meeting of the AGU can
be obtained from its web site at <http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm08/>.

Please note that the deadline for submitting abstracts is 10
September 2008.

Hope to see you in San Francisco!

Best regards,
Richard

..........................................................

G04: The Global Geodetic Observing System: Science and Instrumentation

The Global Geodetic Observing System (GGOS) provides measurements of
the time varying gravity, rotation, and shape of the Earth using
instruments located on the ground and in space. These measurements
need to be accurate to better than a part per billion in order to
advance our understanding of the underlying processes that are
causing the Earth's rotation, gravity, and shape to change. The
terrestrial and celestial reference frames within which the
measurements are taken need to be at least an order of magnitude
better than this in order to ensure that the measurements are not
corrupted by errors in the reference frames. Mass transport in the
global water cycle, sea level change, crustal deformation, and
interplanetary spacecraft navigation are examples of particularly
demanding applications of geodetic measurement systems. Designing the
instrumentation and observing networks that are needed to provide
geodetic measurements of the accuracy and stability required for
these and other applications is an ongoing challenge for GGOS. This
session will be a forum for discussing demanding scientific
applications of global geodetic measurement systems and the
instrumentation and networks that are needed to fulfill those demands.

Conveners;

Richard Gross
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA, USA  91109
818 354-4010
[email-masked]

Mike Pearlman
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
60 Garden Street
Cambridge, MA, USA  02138
617 495-7481
[email-masked]

Hans-Peter Plag
University of Nevada
Reno, NV, USA   89557
775 682-8779
[email-masked]

Markus Rothacher
GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam
Telegrafenberg A17
Potsdam, DEU  D-14473
++49-331-288-1101
[email-masked]

...........................................................