Subject: [IGSMAIL-0580] Call for proposals
From: Martine Feissel
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 10:40:49 PDT

IGS Electronic Mail      Tue Apr 26 10:40:49 PDT 1994      Message Number 0580
******************************************************************************

Author: Martine Feissel
Subject: Call for proposals: DORIS participation in IERS

================================================================================
            INTERNATIONAL   EARTH   ROTATION   SERVICE   (IERS) 
         SERVICE   INTERNATIONAL   DE   LA   ROTATION   TERRESTRE
================================================================================

                                                                 25 April 1994

            ----------------------------------------------------
              CALL FOR PROPOSALS : DORIS PARTICIPATION IN IERS
            ----------------------------------------------------

        The International Earth Rotation Service (IERS) Directing Board,
recognizing the demonstrated capabilities of the DORIS System for global
geodesy, invites its application within IERS for the maintenance of
reference frames and the determination of Earth rotation.

        The IERS requests submission of proposals for

        - Coordinating Center,
        - Operational Analysis Centers,
        - Scientific Analysis Centers,

for the use of DORIS data for the IERS objectives.

        The Coordinating Center will have the following basic responsibilities:

        -  define the program of activities for IERS goals,
        -  organize the data collection and distribution to support the program,
        -  coordinate the IERS-directed work of the Analysis Centers.

Of primary concern to the IERS is a program related to the maintenance of
the terrestrial reference frame. This program should include the acquisition
and distribution of data from a global network, as well as the collection of
data specific to the monitoring of ties with the VLBI, GPS and SLR reference
frames at as many sites as possible. In addition, maintaining the global
distribution of the DORIS network is considered extremely important for the
extension of the IERS Terrestrial Reference Frame.

        The Operational Analysis Centers should provide de IERS sub-Bureau
for Rapid Service and Predictions and the IERS Central Bureau with
estimations of the Earth orientation parameters (coordinates of the pole,
UT1-UTC or length of day) and related information with a few days delay.

        The Scientific Analysis Centers should provide the IERS Central Bureau
with global analyses of the existing DORIS observations, including estimations
of station positions and motions and other parameters pertaining to the
terrestrial references, and of Earth orientation parameters. These global
analyses are collected for the IERS Annual Reports.

        Proposals for Doris Participation in IERS should be submitted by
15 July 1994, to:

        Martine Feissel
        Secretary, IERS Directing Board
        Observatoire de Paris
        61 Avenue de l'Observatoire
        75014 Paris, France

        Telephone       (33) 1 40 51 22 26
        Fax             (33) 1 40 51 22 91
        Internet:       [email-masked]

                                with copy to    Yaroslav Yatskiv,
                                                Chairman, IERS Directing Board
                                                Main Astronomical Observatory
                                                Ukrainian Academy of Sciences
                                                252127 Kiev 127, Ukraine

                                                Fax: (70) 44 224 63 87
                                                Internet: [email-masked]

        The submissions should list the resources available to support  the
proposed activity. As the IERS cannot provide financial resources, the
commitment of institutions hosting the proposed Coordinating Center and
Analysis Centers will be an important consideration in the proposal review.

        The IERS Directing Board will review the proposals and make the
selection at its meeting to be held in August 1994 in conjunction with the
General Assembly of the International Astronomical Union.

        The program of activities should include a test period extending from
1 October 1994 to 30 November 1995, with a written report to the IERS
Directing Board submitted by the selected Coordinator by 1 March, 1996.
During the  period prior to the end of 1995, the DORIS Coordinator will be a
non-voting member of the Directing Board, with voting status beginning in
1996 with successful completion of the program.

        The selected Coordinator will be expected to participate in the
Directing Board meetings. The Coordinator must participate in the  Board
meetings held in Spring and usually one additional meeting later  in the
year at a site coincident with an international meeting.
================================================================================