Subject: [IGSMAIL-5691]: GGEO2008 Symposium - Session 8
From: Richard Gross <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: Richard Gross <[email-masked]>, Hans-Peter Plag <[email-masked]>, "Ruth E. Neilan" <[email-masked]>, Markus Rothacher <[email-masked]>, Stelios Mertikas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:06:10 -0800

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      23 Jan 14:06:23 PST 2008      Message Number 5691
******************************************************************************

Author: Richard Gross

Dear Colleagues -

As part of the IAG International Symposium on Gravity, Geoid and
Earth Observation (GGEO) that will be held in Chania, Crete, Greece
during 23-27 June 2008 there will be a session on "Earth observation
and the Global Geodetic Observing System (GGOS)". The description of
the session is given below.

I would like to draw your attention to this session and encourage you
to participate in it. The deadline for submitting abstracts is 29
February 2008. More information about this symposium can be obtained
from the web site at <http://www.geomatlab.tuc.gr/content/view/54/84/
lang,en/>.

Hope to see you in Chania!

Best regards,
Richard

Richard Gross
Geodynamics and Space Geodesy Group
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Mail Stop 238-600; 4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA 91109-8099, USA

+1 818-354-4010 (phone)
+1 818-393-4965 (fax)

[email-masked]

.................................

Session 8: Earth observation and the Global Geodetic Observing System
(GGOS).
Chairs: Richard Gross (USA).

Measurements of the Earths rotation, shape, and gravity provided by
global geodetic observing systems show that they change on a wide
range of time scales reflecting the wide range of processes affecting
them, from external tidal forces to surficial processes involving the
atmosphere, oceans, and hydrosphere to internal processes acting both
at the core-mantle boundary as well as within the solid Earth itself.
Measurements taken by global geodetic observing systems can therefore
be used to gain greater understanding of a wide variety of dynamic
Earth processes, from tracking water in its various phases as it
cycles through the atmosphere, oceans, and land, to crustal
deformation associated with tectonic motions and glacial isostatic
adjustment, to torsional oscillations of the core. This session will
be a forum for discussing the present status and future evolution of
global geodetic observing systems and their use to investigate
dynamic Earth processes.

...................................