Subject: [IGSMAIL-5660]: Atmosphere Session at EGU 2008
From: "Johannes Boehm" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:37:49 +0100

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      13 Nov 08:38:03 PST 2007      Message Number 5660
******************************************************************************

Authors: Johannes Boehm, Norbert Jakowski, and Shuanggen Jin

Dear colleagues,

we would like to draw your attention to the General Assembly of the EGU 2008
which will be held in Vienna from April 13-18, 2008, and in particular to
session 

<< G8: Monitoring of the lower atmosphere and ionosphere by space geodetic
techniques  >>  

Space geodetic techniques such as GNSS (both ground and LEO based), VLBI,
satellite altimetry, or the GPS Radio Occultation missions with global
coverage (CHAMP/GRACE, Formosat-3/COSMIC or TerraSAR-X) provide valuable
atmospheric information about both, the lower neutral atmosphere
(troposphere and stratosphere), and the ionosphere as well. The potential
for atmospheric sensing using these techniques has improved considerably
over the last few years as a result of technological advances, larger ground
networks and developments of appropriate models and algorithms.
Contributions are sought which present recent sounding results and report on
achieved improvements of the accuracy and temporal and spatial resolution of
derived tropospheric, stratospheric and ionospheric parameters. Theoretical
studies that assess requirements for the accuracy of the relevant parameters
are especially encouraged. 
We are now at an exciting threshold at which accurate atmospheric estimates
and retrievals based on these techniques may significantly improve our
understanding of the physical and dynamic behaviour of weather and climate,
and space weather at various scales. On the other hand, high-precision
geodetic analysis is requiring more and more sophisticated models to improve
strategies for the modelling of atmospheric delays and perturbations.
Corresponding contributions and furthermore, presentations with respect to
the IAG project GGOS (Global Geodetic Observing System) about the
integration and combination of atmospheric parameters from various
techniques are highly appreciated.

---
Please mind that the deadline for abstract submission is January 14, 2008.
Further information can be found at: http://meetings.copernicus.org/egu2008
or contact us directly.

Best regards,
Johannes Boehm,   Vienna University of Technology, and 
Norbert Jakowski, Deutsches Zentrum fuer Luft- und Raumfahrt  
Shuanggen Jin,    Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute

[email-masked]
[email-masked] 
[email-masked]