Subject: [IGSMAIL-5621]: Two vacancies at Newcastle University
From: "Peter Clarke" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:23:12 +0100

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      20 Jul 06:25:07 PDT 2007      Message Number 5621
******************************************************************************

Author: Peter Clarke
Subject: Two vacancies at Newcastle University

[with apologies for cross-posting to related lists]

NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY

SCHOOL OF CIVIL ENGINEERING AND GEOSCIENCES

TWO RESEARCH POSTS IN GEODESY

Dear Colleagues

Applications are invited from candidates holding a PhD (or expecting the
imminent award of one) in geodesy or a closely related field, for either
(please state which) or both of the following posts.  Please draw them
to the attention of interested parties.

Post D2048R - Research Associate in GPS Geodesy

You will join the Geodesy team and carry out research into the analysis
and utilisation of GPS observations for positioning and deformation
monitoring, including the precise determination of horizontal and
vertical motions of the Earth's crust and structures on the Earth.  You
should have or be near completion of a PhD or equivalent in GNSS geodesy
or a closely related field, proven expertise in scientific GPS analysis
(using GIPSY/OASIS, Bernese, GAMIT, or a similar software package) and
excellent English-language written and oral communication skills. 

This position is available from 1 September 2007, for two years in the
first instance.  Salary will be at an appropriate point on the scale GBP
22,332 - GBP 32,796 per annum, according to qualifications and
experience.

Applications for the initial shortlist should be received by 6 August,
and interviews are likely to be during the week commencing 14 August.
The post will remain open until filled.

Post D2058R - Research Assistant/Associate in Geodesy

You will form a central part of a new UK Natural Environmental Research
Council (NERC) project led by David Lavallee, involving collaborators at
the University of Nevada Reno, The University of Luxembourg and Delft
University of Technology. You will join the Newcastle Geodesy team and
carry out research related to determining large scale movement of water
mass by measuring deformation of the Earth and the Earthbs gravity. The
aim of the project is to develop an integrated observation model using
gravity measurements from GRACE and SLR, and measurements of the Earthbs
shape from GPS. In addition, the results will improve the realisation of
the Terrestrial Reference Frame used throughout the Earth Sciences and
in particular for altimetric and tide gauge estimates of sea level rise.

This position is available from 1 October 2007, for three years in the
first instance.  Salary will be at an appropriate point on the scale GBP
23,002 - GBP 29,139 per annum, according to qualifications and
experience.

Applications for the initial shortlist should be received by 3
September, and interviews are likely to be during the week commencing 17
September. The post will remain open until filled.

For further details of these posts including how to apply, see
http://www.ceg.ncl.ac.uk/ or
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/vacancies/vacancy.phtml?ref=D2048R or
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/vacancies/vacancy.phtml?ref=D2058R .

Informal enquiries may be directed to:
Dr Peter Clarke, e-mail [email-masked] or telephone +44
(0)191 222 6351
Dr David Lavallee, e-mail [email-masked]