Subject: [IGSMAIL-5612]: Message for igsmail
From: Ruth Neilan <[email-masked]>
To: Igsmail <[email-masked]>, Unav <[email-masked]>
Cc: Carey Noll <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:04:01 -0700

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      15 Jun 15:04:06 PDT 2007      Message Number 5612
******************************************************************************

Author: John LaBrecque (via Ruth Neilan)

Attached are meeting notifications- I apologize for the short notice-
of planning workshops for missions that are of great interest to the
GGOS community. Please distribute these notices amongst the GGOS
community and encourage participation in the open workshops. Of
special interest is highlighting and ensuring the recognition of the
role of geodetic science and infrastructure in these measurements.
John
************************************************************************
****
Dr. John L. LaBrecque, Lead
Earth Surface and Interior Focus Area
Office: Room 3F84
Mail Suite: 3B74
Science Mission Directorate
National Aeronautics and Space Administration
300 E Street SW
Washington, DC 20546-0001
-----------------------------------
Office: (202) 358-1373
Cell:   (202) 431-9546
FAX:    (202) 358-2770
e-mail: [email-masked]
Amateur Call Sign: WA1MAH
************************************************************************
****

Second Circular
The NRC Decadal Study ICESat-II Science Workshop
June 27-29, 2007
Location: Holiday Inn-BWI (Baltimore)

This is the second announcement for a NASA workshop on the science of
ICESat-II, a mission
recommended by the National Research Councils Decadal Study Report,
Earth Science and
Applications from Space: National Imperatives for the Next Decade and
Beyond
(http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11820).
As envisioned by the Decadal Study, the ICESat-II mission is to
deploy an ICESat follow-on
satellite to continue the assessment of polar ice changes. ICESat-II
is also expected to measure
vegetation canopy heights, allowing estimates of biomass and carbon
in aboveground vegetation
in conjunction with related missions, and allow measurements of solid
earth properties.
NASA intends this meeting to be the first in a series of workshops
and activities to involve the
community in the refinement of the ICESat-II mission and thereby to
ensure the optimal return to
science and society. The early timing of and short notice for this
workshop reflects our desire to
move forward expeditiously in responding to the recommendations of
the Decadal Survey. We
also anticipate that a number of events will occur in the next fiscal
year for which early
community input on the mission will be critical. The workshop will
produce a report that
responds to the following charges:
 Examine the ICESat-II mission as recommended by the National
Research Council in light of
the scientific goals articulated in its panel chapters;
 Articulate the expected scientific return of ICESat-II;
 Identify the potential synergistic approaches with respect to
ICESat-II and other space-based
missions;
 Recommend the next steps for mission refinement, additional
research and consideration of
other space-based observations that are required to meet the
expressed ICESat-II scientific
goals.
Those interested in attending the workshop must register at
http://www.tisconferences.com/icesat2/node/1. Your early registration
will help us plan the
meeting and ensure that you receive further communications on the
workshop. Those who cannot
attend the meeting, but wish either to show support for or critique
the ICESat-II concept, please
email your comments or letters to me, then we will place them on a
website and will do our best
to incorporate them into the report.
A preliminary agenda for the ICESat-II workshop will be posted at the
http://www.tisconferences.com/icesat2/node/1 website as soon as it
becomes available.
Questions about the workshop can be addressed to Seelye Martin
(office: 202-358-0746; email:
[email-masked]).
ICESat-II Workshop Organizing Committee: Seelye Martin, John
LaBrecque, Diane Wickland,
Bradford Hager, Jon Ranson, Andrea Donnellan, Sassan Saatchi, William
Emanuel, David
Harding, Helen Amanda Fricker, Ronald Kwok, Eric Rignot, Waleed
Abdalati, DeWayne Cecil

Second Circular
The NRC Decadal Study DESDynI Science Workshop
July 17-19, 2007
Orlando, Florida
This is the second announcement for a NASA workshop on the science of
DESDynI, a mission recommended by the National Research Councils
Decadal Study Report, Earth Science and Applications from Space:
National Imperatives for the Next Decade and Beyond (http://
www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11820).
As envisioned by the Decadal Study, the DESDynI mission combines two
sensors that, taken together, provide observations important for
solid-Earth (surface deformation), ecosystems (terrestrial biomass
structure) and climate (ice dynamics). The sensors are: (1) an L-band
Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar (InSAR) system with multiple
polarizations, and (2) a multiple beam lidar operating in the
infrared with ~25 m spatial resolution and 1 m vertical accuracy.
NASA intends this meeting to be the first in a series of workshops
and activities to involve the community in the refinement of the
DESDynI mission and to thereby ensure optimal return to science and
society. The timing of this first workshop reflects NASAs great
desire to move forward expeditiously in responding to the Decadal
Surveys recommendations and our anticipation of a number of events
in the next fiscal year for which community input on the mission will
be critical. The workshop will produce a report that responds to the
following charge:
DESDynI Workshop Charge: Examine the DESDynI mission as recommended
by the National Research Council in light of the scientific goals
articulated in its panel chapters
Articulate the expected scientific return of DESDynI
Identify the potential synergistic approaches with respect to ICESat-
II and other space-based missions
Recommend next steps for mission refinement, additional research, and
consideration of other space-based observations that are required to
meet the expressed scientific goals to be addressed by DESDynI

Those interested in attending the workshop must register at http://
www.tisconferences.com/desdynl. There is no registration fee. Your
early registration will help us plan for proper facilities and ensure
that you receive further communications on the workshop. All future
communications about this workshop will go only to people who have
registered. A preliminary agenda for the DESDynI workshop is posted
at the registration website and will be updated as more detailed
information becomes available.
Questions about the workshop can be addressed to Diane Wickland
(office: 202-358-0245; email: [email-masked] or John
LaBrecque (office: 202-358-1373; email: [email-masked]).
DESDynI/ICESat-II Workshop Organizing Committee: Seelye Martin, John
LaBrecque, Diane Wickland, Bradford Hager, Jon Ranson, Andrea
Donnellan, Sassan Saatchi, William Emanuel, David Harding, Helen
Fricker, Ronald Kwok, Eric Rignot, Waleed Abdalati, DeWayne Cecil