Subject: [IGSMAIL-5551]: IERS Workshop on Conventions
From: Jim Ray "(NGS" 301-713-2850 "x112)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 08:05:43 -0500 (EST)

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      07 Feb 05:08:10 PST 2007      Message Number 5551
******************************************************************************

Author: IERS (forwarded by Jim Ray)

************************************************************************
IERS Message No. 109                                   February 07, 2007
************************************************************************

IERS Workshop on Conventions: First Announcement

A workshop on the IERS Conventions will be organized on 20-21 September 
2007 (Thursday-Friday), at the Bureau International des Poids et Mesures
in Sevres, France.

Scientific objectives:

During the last three years, the IERS Conventions Center has worked on
updating the IERS Conventions (2003). Since 2005 it has benefited from
the help of the Advisory Board on IERS Conventions update. This work is
reflected in the web site 

       http://tai.bipm.org/iers/convupdt/convupdt.html

which keeps track of all updates since the 2003 version.

Nevertheless much remains to be done in order to present a consistent 
set, in agreement with the current state of knowledge, and to have it 
actually put to practice by analysis centers.

The goals of the workshop are

* to discuss models recently introduced or considered for introduction 
in the Conventions, and to present results of tests for these models;

* to define the directions towards a next edition of the IERS 
Conventions in the not too far future (200X);

* to discuss possible longer term issues either institutional (e.g. 
scope of the Conventions, links to GGOS Working Group on Conventions, 
Analysis and Modelling) or technical, such as the definition of the 
regularized positions of stations (which displacement effects should 
modeled and removed in the analysis, and which should not).

Scientific Organizing Committee:

F. Arias, B. Luzum, G. Petit (chair), J. Ray, B. Richter, J. Ries, 
H. Schuh, T. van Dam

Contact:

Gerard Petit
Time, frequency and gravimetry section, BIPM
Address: Pavillon de Breteuil
         92312 Sevres  FRANCE
Phone: (33)1-45077067
FAX: (33)1-45077059
E-mail: [email-masked] 

Additional information:

A web page for the workshop will be available at a later date, with the
second announcement and call for papers. It will be also reachable 
through the IERS web site at 

       http://www.iers.org/MainDisp.csl?pid=65-245.

Note also that the Workshop will take place just after the Journees 
2007, which is scheduled 17-19 September in Meudon 
(see http://syrte.obspm.fr/journees2007/). 
The BIPM is about 3 km from Meudon Observatory.

************************************************************************
IERS Messages are edited and distributed by the IERS Central Bureau.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, please write to <[email-masked]>.
Archives: http://www.iers.org/iers/publications/messages/
************************************************************************