Subject: [IGSMAIL-5550]: Digital geophysical data session at IUGG
From: Jim Ray "(NGS" 301-713-2850 "x112)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked] (CANSPACE)
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 14:17:14 -0500 (EST)

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      06 Feb 11:18:37 PST 2007      Message Number 5550
******************************************************************************

Author: Susan McLean (forwarded by Jim Ray)

I am a co-convener for a Union Session at the IUGG in Perugia this
summer and we are looking to reach the GPS community with a call for
papers (below).  We would like to bring in presenters from the Geodesy /
GPS community to share their expertise with the other Associations.

Thanks,
Sue

Susan McLean <[email-masked]>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please note final deadline for submission of abstracts is fast approaching.

CALL FOR PAPERS -- IUGG 2007 General Assembly, Perugia, Italy

US004: Digital geophysical data exchange: remote access, virtual
observatories, GEOSS, and eGY
(This session is scheduled for Wednesday morning 4 July 2007)

There is a growing requirement for common data logging techniques,
digital capture, exchange and integration of data sets across geophysical
disciplines.  The Electronic Geophysical Year (www.eGY.org) and the Global
Earth Observation System of Systems (www.earthobservations.org)
initiatives offer modern approaches to remote data access, integration
and management.  This session focuses on the technology and tools, such as
spatially enabled databases, Web-accessible open geographic information
systems, common scientific lexicons and virtual data centers, which improve
the discovery, browsing, visualization, and integration of geographically
dispersed scientific data.  The session will analyze trends towards the
establishment of virtual observatories and networks and activities
supporting the goals of the eGY and GEOSS.

Both oral and poster papers are now solicited for this session. Note that
the revised abstract submission deadline is now 28 February 2007 for
electronic upload and 10 February 2007 for post delivery.  Given the half
day allotted to session US004, most papers can be expected to be presented
as posters.  However the organizers intend that a few oral contributions
can be given alongside invited oral papers.

Conveners:

Alan W. P. Thomson Seismology and Geomagnetism, British Geological Survey,
  UK; [email-masked]
Vladimir Papitashvili AOSS/SPRL, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA;
  [email-masked]
Susan McLean NOAA/National Geophysical Data Center, Boulder, USA;
  [email-masked]