Subject: [IGSMAIL-5526]: EGU Session G4/GD17
From: Richard Gross <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: Richard Gross <[email-masked]>, Markus Rothacher <[email-masked]>, Hans-Peter Plag <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 11:40:21 -0800

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      05 Jan 11:40:31 PST 2007      Message Number 5526
******************************************************************************

Author: Richard Gross

Dear Colleagues -

As part of the 2007 General Assembly of the European Geosciences  
Union that will be held in Vienna, Austria during 15-20 April 2007,  
Hans-Peter Plag and I are convening session G4/GD17 on "What  
constraints do earth rotation, shape, and gravity measurements place  
on the dynamical processes of the solid earth?". The description of  
the session is given below.

We would like to draw your attention to this session and encourage  
you to participate in it. The deadline for submitting abstracts is 15  
January 2007.

Hope to see you in Vienna!

Best regards,
Richard Gross and Hans-Peter Plag

.................................

G4/GD17: What constraints do earth rotation, shape, and gravity  
measurements place on the dynamical processes of the solid earth?

Measurements of the Earth's rotation, shape, and gravity provided by  
the Global Geodetic Observing System show that they change on a wide  
range of time scales reflecting the wide range of processes affecting  
them, from external tidal forces to surficial processes involving the  
atmosphere, oceans, and hydrosphere to internal processes acting both  
at the core-mantle boundary as well as within the solid Earth itself.  
In addition, the frequencies of the resonances in the Earth's  
rotation, including the Chandler wobble, the free core nutation, the  
free inner core nutation, and the inner core wobble, depend upon the  
internal structure and constitution of the Earth. Measurements of the  
Earth's rotation, shape, and gravity can therefore be used to place  
constraints on a wide range of dynamical processes of the solid  
Earth, including glacial isostatic adjustment, mantle anelasticity,  
core-mantle coupling, core flattening, core angular momentum,  
torsional oscillations of the core, the tilt and rotation of the  
inner core, and the strength of the magnetic field at the inner core  
and core-mantle boundaries. This session will be a forum for  
discussing the use of Earth rotation, shape, and gravity measurements  
to constrain the structure and dynamical processes of the solid Earth.

Richard S. Gross
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Mail Stop 238-600
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA 91109, USA
Tel.: +1 818-354-4010
Fax: +1 818-393-4965
E-mail: [email-masked]

Hans-Peter Plag
Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology and Seismological Laboratory
Universiy of Nevada, Reno
Mailstop 178
NV, 89557 Reno
United States of America
Tel.: +1 775-784-6691
Fax: +1 775-784-1709
E-mail: [email-masked]