Subject: [IGSMAIL-5517]: Atmosphere Session at EGU2007
From: "Johannes Boehm" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:53:04 +0100

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      22 Dec 03:53:14 PST 2006      Message Number 5517
******************************************************************************

Authors: Johannes Boehm and Norbert Jakowski

Dear colleagues,

we would like to draw your attention to the General Assembly of the EGU 2007
which will be held in Vienna from April 15-20, 2007, and in particular to
session

<< G5: Monitoring of the troposphere and ionosphere by space geodetic
techniques >>

Space geodetic techniques such as GNSS (both ground and LEO based), VLBI,
satellite altimetry, the gravity missions CHAMP/GRACE, or the recently
launched Formosat-3/COSMIC mission provide valuable atmospheric information
about both, the lower neutral atmosphere (troposphere and stratosphere), and
the ionosphere as well. The potential for atmospheric sensing with these
techniques has improved considerably over the last few years as a result of
technological advances and developments of appropriate models and
algorithms. Contributions are sought which present recent sounding results
and report on achieved improvements of the accuracy of derived tropospheric,
stratospheric and ionospheric parameters. Theoretical studies that assess
requirements for the accuracy of the relevant parameters are especially
encouraged. First results from the Formosat-3/COSMIC mission are also highly
welcome.

We are now at an exciting threshold at which accurate atmospheric estimates
and retrievals based on these techniques may significantly improve our
understanding of the physical and dynamic behaviour of weather and climate,
and space weather at various scales. The markedly different spatial and
temporal capabilities of the space-geodetic methods for sensing the
atmosphere also pose great challenges to validation studies. Thus,
comparative studies using ground based techniques, such as WVR or
radiosondes for the neutral atmosphere and vertical incidence sounding of
the ionosphere are invited. Furthermore, studies on space geodetic
techniques are highly appreciated, in particular presentations with respect
to the IAG project GGOS (Global Geodetic Observing System) dealing with the
integration and combination of various techniques.

---
Please mind that the deadline for abstract submission is January 15, 2007.
Further information can be found at: http://meetings.copernicus.org/egu2007
or contact us directly.

Best regards,
Johannes Boehm,   Vienna University of Technology, and
Norbert Jakowski, Deutsches Zentrum fuer Luft- und Raumfahrt

[email-masked]
[email-masked]