Subject: [IGSMAIL-5317]: IGS Workshop 8-11 May 2006: Identification and Mitigation of GNSS Errors
From: Urs Hugentobler <[email-masked]>
To: igsmail <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 09:29:25 +0000

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      06 Mar 01:30:50 PST 2006      Message Number 5317
******************************************************************************

Author: Urs Hugentobler

Dear Colleagues,

we solicit abstracts for a session on identification and mitigation of
GNSS errors at the next IGS workshop, which will be held from 8-11 May
at ESOC in Darmstadt, Germany. Information about the workshop can be
found in the IGS Message 5315 and at:
http://www.esa.int/igs2006

Topics covered by the session include, e.g., near-field and far-field
multipath effects, including local environmental effects, such as
snow, trees, rain water, antenna mounting, cable connections, etc.,
and their correlation with geophysical signals. Such effects may
average out for long observing sessions but can be very important for
high time-resolved studies. Appropriate mitigation techniques are thus
required. The session also addresses questions concerning improvements
expected from new tidal loading models on the extraction of
geophysical signals. Is there evidence of aliasing into longer-period
signals? Can non-tidal loading continue to be neglected and retained
in the geodetic results? Last but not least, questions concerning the
quality and consistency of IGS products and future improvements fit
into the session.  Of particular interest are discussions on precise
point positioning versus network solutions and how the IGS could serve
its community better in this aspect. The session description is
attached below.

A short position paper and a few invited contributions will introduce
the main topics of the session and highlight open questions or propose
new approaches. In addition abstracts are openly solicited, and a
subset will be selected for presentation. Abstracts will be selected
to adequately cover the vast range of topics that are addressed in the
session description.

Please consider submitting a short abstract. Note that the abstract
submission deadline is March 31.

Thanks,

Urs Hugentobler, Hans van der Marel, Tim Springer

======================================================================

    Session ERRO: "Identification and Mitigation of GNSS Errors"
           U. Hugentobler, H. van der Marel, T. Springer

Abstract.  This session considers all the full range of effects that
may corrupt GNSS signals or induce undesirable contributions in GNSS
analysis results.  We focus particular attention on those effects that
may have been neglected before, are of most serious magnitude, may be
particularly insidious in obscuring genuine geophysical signals (such
as aliasing), or degrade the stability of the reference frame.

Questions concerning the quality of IGS products and future
improvements have a platform in this session, too. This includes the
correlation of orbit modeling deficiencies with apparent geocenter
variations or causes for persistent biases between AC products as well
as further improvements of the IGS products, e.g. for applications
such as precise point positioning. Of interest for users of IGS
products are discussions on the procedures promising the most precise
and least biased results in the vast field of applications.

It is likely that significant technique-related errors (e.g. caused by
near-field and far-field multipath) are sometimes being misinterpreted
as geophysical effects.  Therefore, it is critical that the IGS take a
stronger role in identifying the sources of GNSS errors and in finding
strategies to mitigate their effects.  This will require new research
activities to better understand some suspected error sources. All
aspects of GNSS geodesy are potentially involved, from field
observations through data analysis and interpretation.