Subject: [IGSMAIL-5311]: Special Session on Earth Rotation at AGU Spring Meeting
From: Richard Gross <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: Richard Gross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:32:54 -0800

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      24 Feb 10:32:59 PST 2006      Message Number 5311
******************************************************************************

Author: Richard Gross

Dear Colleagues -

As part of the 2006 Joint Assembly of the AGU, GS, MB, MSA, and SEG
that will be held in Baltimore, MD during 23-26 May 2006, David
Salstein and I are convening session G06 on "Earth Rotation: The Long
and the Short of It". The description of the session is given below.

We would like to draw your attention to this session and encourage
you to participate in it. The deadline for submitting abstracts is 1
March 2006.

Hope to see you in Baltimore!

Best regards,
Richard Gross and David Salstein

.................................

G06: Earth Rotation: The Long and the Short of It

The Earths rotation changes on all observable timescales, from
subdaily to decadal and longer. Such variations include Earth's spin
rate noted as changes in the length of day, as well as polar motions
and variations of the polar axis in space. The wide range of
timescales on which the Earths rotation occurs reflects the va iety
of processes that are causing it to change. These include external
tidal forces, surficial fluid processes involving the atmosphere,
oceans, and hydrosphere, some related to climate variability, and
internal processes acting both within the solid Earth itself and
between it and the fluid core. Observations of the Earths rotation
can thus be used to investigate a wide variety of geophysical
processes. This session will be a forum for discussing the use of
Earth rotation observations to study dynamic processes in the Earth
system.

Richard S. Gross
Jet Propu sion Laboratory
Mail Stop 238-600
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA 91109, USA
Tel.: +1 818-354-4010
Fax: +1 818-393-4965
E-mail: [email-masked]

David Salstein
Atmospheric and Environmental Research, Inc.
131 Hartwell Ave.
Lexington, MA, USA  02421
781-761-2229
[email-masked]