Subject: [IGSMAIL-5239]: L2C Signals Tracked
From: Dave Stowers <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:32:35 -0700

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      24 Oct 11:32:36 PDT 2005      Message Number 5239
******************************************************************************

Author: Dave Stowers

Dear Colleagues,

We have successfully tracked the first L2C signal in space on October
21, enabled by the Air Force a day earlier than expected. The signal was
first tracked by a BlackJack receiver at JPL, and a little later by a
small global network of L2C-capable Trimble receivers that were deployed
for this purpose. The signal was enabled only over CONUS for a few hour
period, and was tracked by Trimble NetRS receivers in Hawaii, Alaska,
and Colorado. Additional L2C-capable receivers in South Africa,
Antarctica, and Norway, are on-line and can support global tracking and
real-time monitoring of the new signal if it is enabled beyond CONUS. 

A reminder that all of the 30s data tracked at these sites is available
at CDDIS (whether L2C is on or not):

  ftp://cddis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/gps/data/l2ctest/hourly/2005/

Note that there are currently phase breaks in the PRN 17 data introduced
when L2C is not on, a side effect of automatically determining when the
signal is turned on (see IGSmail-5237 regarding enabling tracking).

A large thanks to staff at JPL, UNAVCO, and the site host organizations
and countries for their efforts in enabling this successful activity.

Best regards,

-dave