Subject: [IGSMAIL-5190]: Call for participants AGU session G02
From: "Michel Van Camp" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:45:34 +0200

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      17 Aug 15:47:39 PDT 2005      Message Number 5190
******************************************************************************

Author: Michel Van Camp

Dear colleagues,

During the next AGU fall meeting (San Francisco 5-9 December 2005) a
session (G02) will be dedicated to "Gravity and its Fluctuation
Associated with Earthquakes, Hydrosphere, Tides, Nonequilibrium Isostasy
and Glacier Change" (see description hereafter).

We encourage you to participate in this meeting and to submit an
abstract before 8 September on
http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm05/?pageRequest=home

The invited authors are:

  a.. B. Pettersen, Norwegian University of Life Sciences: Review of
Fennoscandian g measurements;
  b.. R. Gross, Jet Propulsion Laboratory: Effect of the Sumatran
earthquake on the Earth's gravitational field;
  c.. Y. Imanishi, Ocean Research Institute, the University of Tokyo:
Dection of gravity change caused by earthquakes;
  d.. T. van Dam, European Centre for Geodynamics and Seismology: Global
gravity change modeling.
We are looking forward to meeting you in San Francisco,

Michel Van Camp, Royal Observatory of Belgium
Erik Ivins, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Tony Lambert, Natural Resources Canada
Shuhei Okubo, Earthquake Research Institute, The University of Tokyo

G02 Session description:

This session solicits contributions on geodetic observation of
seismotectonic, cryospheric, hydrological, tidal and post-glacial
rebound phenomenon using both space-based and ground-based techniques.
Combining ground-based gravity and vertical positioning observations
with those of space-based origin, is a fertile new area for
interdisciplinary geosciences. For example, present-day geodetic
techniques, when combined judiciously, should allow post-glacial rebound
to be distinguished from other processes, such as environmental loading
and attraction, present-day ice mass change. Contributions are solicited
that deal with data interpretation and modelling using different
combinations of geodetic techniques, such as, absolute and relative
gravimetry, GPS, temporal gravity variations from GRACE, repeated
levelling and tide gauge data. Combination techniques have been
demonstrated on both global and regional scales, such as in the annual
water cycle using GPS, GRACE, and SLR/VLBI combinations and in the
co-seismic deformation field of the Iwate earthquake (Mw=5.9) of 3
September 1998 or Tokachi-oki earthquake (Mw = 8.0) of 25 September
2003 using GPS and absolute or superconducting gravimetry.