Subject: [IGSMAIL-5119]: Terms of Reference 2005 and New Name for IGS
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked] (Yoaz Bar Sever), [email-masked] (Norm Beck), [email-masked] (Gerhard Beutler), [email-masked] (Geoff Blewitt), [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], "Caissy, Mark" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Loic Daniel), [email-masked], Remi Ferland <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Gerd Gendt), Manuel Hernandez Pajares <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked], David Pugh <[email-masked]>, Nicole Capitaine <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Christoph R
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:10:26 +0100

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      17 Mar 10:24:11 PST 2005      Message Number 5119
******************************************************************************

Author: John M. Dow

Dear Colleagues,

The IGS Governing Board gave its unanimous approval this week to new Terms of
Reference. This is the first update to the Terms since January 1999, and was
made necessary by a number of developments which have taken place in the
meantime. Notably the IGS published in 2001 its Strategic Plan for the years
2002-2007, defining its mission and objectives for the future: it was
considered important to reflect the impact of these in the Terms of
Reference.

Other modifications include:

-  some adjustments to the structure of the Governing Board
-  the setting up of an Executive Committee, subject to the control and
direction of the Governing Board, which can act for the Board between regular
meetings.
-  major revisions of the Charter for Analysis Centres and the Policy on
Establishment of Projects and Working Groups
-  a new Charter for Data Centres

In view of the increasing developments in the field of Global Navigation
Satellite Systems (GNSS), it was decided (as in 1999) to take this
opportunity to modify the name of our organisation. The acronym IGS remain,
but now stands for  "International GNSS Service".

The new Terms of Reference and Charters are now posted on the IGS website
http://igscb.jpl.nasa.gov/, under "What's New?" and "Organisation".

I would like to thank all members of the Governing Board, and in particular
Ruth Neilan, Angie Moore, Bob Serafin and Norman Beck, for their efforts in
contributing to this update.

Best regards,
John M. Dow