Subject: [IGSMAIL-5084]: 9TH INT. WORKSHOP ON NUMERICAL MANTLE CONVECTION AND LITHOSPHERIC DYNAMICS
From: Alexander Braun <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Thorsten Becker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:53:31 -0700

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      12 Jan 07:53:41 PST 2005      Message Number 5084
******************************************************************************

AUTHOR: Thorsten Becker (U Southern California)

Dear IGS Colleagues,
Please be informed about the following workshop which contains
IGS relevant topics on lithospheric dynamics.

9TH INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON NUMERICAL MODELING OF
               MANTLE CONVECTION AND LITHOSPHERIC DYNAMICS

                              hosted by the
      25th Course of the International School of Geophysics at EMCSC

                   ERICE, SICILY, 8 - 14 SEPTEMBER 2005

                Director of the School: Enzo Boschi, INGV

                        Directors of the Workshop:

                         Carlo Giunchi, INGV Roma
                   Giorgio Spada, University of Urbino
             Thorsten Becker, University of Southern California
                     Dave Bercovici, Yale University
                       Cinzia Farnetani, IPG Paris

      INITIAL ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR MAILING LIST REGISTRATION

The goal of this workshop is to bring together both established and
young scientists, as well as students, who are interested in the
dynamics of the lithosphere and mantle.  Our scientific focus will be
on quantitative models of dynamic processes and how those can be
constrained with data from a range of Earth Science fields. To this
end, we encourage submissions from tectonic and geodynamic modelers,
but also from researchers in disciplines with relevant observational
activity such as seismology, mineral physics and geochemistry.

To register to receive our forthcoming first circular with a finalized
list of speakers and detailed information in January 2005, please
visit our web site at:

                        http://www.ingv.it/erice2005

or e-mail to [email-masked].

Following the example of our earlier, highly successful workshops
(held most recently in Aussois, France 2001, and in Hruba Skala, Czech
Republic 2003), the program will include a mixture of keynote lectures
on cutting-edge science problems with ample room for subsequent
discussion. Another aspect of the meeting will be tutorials and
micro-workshops dedicated to more technical questions that arise in
theoretical and laboratory modeling and analysis. By bringing together
researchers from across the sub-disciplines to discuss both results
and methods in a way not possible by means of traditional scientific
communication, this workshop series fills an important gap in the
normal conference circuit.

Each day of the meeting there will be three invited lectures, one of
which will be of tutorial character. All the other contributions will
be presented in poster sessions, along with very brief overviews from
contributors within each session. A significant amount of time will be
devoted to informal discussions. Alongside such more free-form
discussions, we will have focus group meetings to provide a platform
for the exchange and discussion of tools and techniques, such as
benchmarking projects. The Erice site is quite special and, together
with the target audience of ~90 attendees, very conducive to making
connections and forming creative new collaborations.

Major funding for this meeting is provided by Istituto Nazionale di
Geofisica e Vulcanologia, Roma, Italy; the Italian Ministry for
Education, University and Research; the Institute of Physics,
University of Urbino; and Provincia di Ravenna. Support from the
National Science Foundation for the attendance of US based researchers
is pending.

Carlo Giunchi ([email-masked])
Giorgio Spada ([email-masked])
Thorsten Becker ([email-masked])
Dave Bercovici ([email-masked])
Cinzia Farnetani ([email-masked])

			LIST OF SPEAKERS

A. Bonaccorso (INGV)
O. Cadek      (Charles University, Prague)
P. Cordier    (Universite' de Lille)
M. Hirschmann (University of Minnesota)
K. Lambeck    (Australian National University)
P. Kelemen    (Columbia University)
J. Korenaga   (Yale University)
A. Hofmann    (MPI Mainz)
Y. Ricard     (Ecole Normale Superieure, Lyon)
J. Ritsema    (Institut de Physique du Globe, Paris)
M. Sambridge  (Australian National University)
D. Sandwell   (University of California, San Diego)
J. Schmalzl   (University of Muenster)

                           PRELIMINARY PROGRAM

Thu. Sep 8:  Arrival at Ettore Majorana Center for Scientific
  	     Culture, Erice, Sicily.

Fri. Sep 9:  - Introduction and overview

               - Lithospheric deformation and dynamics
               - Global mantle dynamics

               - Tutorial: Numerical methods for mantle
  	       convection modeling
               - Poster session

Sat. Sep 10: - Volcano geodesy and dynamics
               - New constraints on postglacial rebound

               - Tutorial: Inverse methods
               - Poster session

Sun. Sep 11: Field trip

Mon. Sep 12: - Volatile fluxes & budgets
               - Melting effects on mantle dynamics

               - Tutorial: Rheology
               - Micro-Workshops and benchmark session

Tue. Sep 13: - Mantle dynamics and seismic tomography
               - Thermal evolution of the Earth

               - Tutorial: Geochemical constraints
               - Final panel discussion and wrap up

Wed. Sep 14: Departure from Erice (site will be available until Sep 15)