Subject: [IGSMAIL-4995]: Fall AGU SF10: Emerging Science Applications Of Measurements From GPS/GNSS...
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:31:25 -0700

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      19 Aug 16:35:11 PDT 2004      Message Number 4995
******************************************************************************

Author: Jim Zumberge

Dear Colleagues,

Cinzia Zuffada (JPL), Jim Anderson (Harvard University), and I are 
convening a Special Focus Session (SF10) at the Fall AGU in San 
Francisco, called

    Emerging Science Applications Of Measurements From GPS/GNSS And
    GPS-like Signals: Recent Results And Future Possibilities

The description is:

    Over the past two decades, the value of GPS measurements to solid
    Earth Science, Atmospheric Science, Ocean Science, Space Physics,
    and other areas has in some cases been firmly established and in
    others is only emerging or potential. This session solicits
    contributions that showcase the impact of emerging and potential
    applications to science. Some examples are real-time seismic
    hazard mitigation, assessment of climate change, ocean or ice
    surface height variability, magnetosphere-ionosphere coupling
    during storms, and the response of the Earth's ionosphere to solar
    flares and astronomical X-ray sources. Recent results from the
    global terrestrial GPS network and/or dense regional GPS networks,
    and from on-orbit satellites carrying GPS receivers (for example,
    CHAMP, SAC-C, GRACE, and JASON), are welcome. Descriptions of what
    is expected from upcoming projects/missions (for example, PBO,
    COSMIC) are also welcome. Additionally, new GPS signals (L2C, L5)
    and satellites (Block IIF and III), together with newer Global
    Navigation Satellite Systems (Russian GLONASS and European GALILEO)
    are ushering in a new opportunity to exploit these navigation
    signals for science. Contributions from science disciplines that
    have or will benefit from GPS/GNSS, and from GPS/GLONASS/GALILEO
    experts who can describe what is to be expected from multiple GNSS
    systems and their potential benefits to science, directly or
    indirectly, are also encouraged. Finally, contributions that
    describe GPS-like high-frequency active transmitters and receivers
    for applications like atmospheric sounding or in situ measurements
    of electron density in the ionosphere are sought. This session will
    be followed by a mini-workshop to consolidate and highlight the key
    ideas that will have emerged, and document them in a white paper.
    The workshop objective is to identify and articulate the key
    scientific questions that are optimally, or perhaps uniquely,
    addressed by GPS or GPS-like observations, and determine their
    relevance to existing or planned national Earth-science research
    programs.

Please consider submitting an abstract for this Session. The 
deadlines are September 9 for web submissions, September 1 for postal 
submission.

For details on how to submit, go to http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm04/ .

Thank you.