Subject: [IGSMAIL-4664]: Postdocs in Space Geodesy at Univ. Nevada Reno
From: Geoff Blewitt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Geoff Blewitt <[email-masked]>, Jon Price <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:56:12 -0800

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      27 Oct 17:04:03 PST 2003      Message Number 4664
******************************************************************************

Author: Geoff Blewitt <[email-masked]>

Attached below is an announcement on two to three postdoctoral fellow positions 
in space geodesy being offered by the University of Nevada, Reno.  

Please would you kindly forward this to those who might be interested and to 
colleagues that might not receive this email directly.  

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Dr Geoff Blewitt  
Research Professor  
Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology
University of Nevada, MS 178
Reno, NV 89557
United States
Tel:   +1-775-784-6691 ext 171
Fax:   +1-775-784-1709
Email: [email-masked]
Web:   http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/staff/geoff.htm
--------------------------------------------------------------
Position Announcement 

POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWS 

Space Geodesy 

The Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology (NBMG), a research and public service 
unit of the University and Community College System of Nevada and the state 
geological survey, seeks two to three postdoctoral fellows to work in the field 
of space geodesy and its geophysical applications, for example, global and 
regional scale tectonics, accommodation of crustal strain by active structures 
in the Basin and Range, global reference frame theory and practice, time 
variation in the shape of the Earth due to the global water cycle, seismic 
hazard, mantle-lithosphere interactions and rheology, ground water-induced 
subsidence and aquifer mechanics, and geothermal research. Managed as part of 
the Mackay School of Earth Sciences and Engineering within the College of 
Science at the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR), NBMG functions as a non-
teaching academic unit, and its principal scientists are both tenure-track and 
non-tenure-track faculty members. We seek individuals who will work closely 
with earth scientists from NBMG and other academic and research departments at 
UNR to build on the growing space geodesy research program at UNR, addressing a 
broad range of contemporary topics on Earth surface deformation using modern 
space geodetic techniques such as InSAR and GPS. Contingent on annual federal 
appropriations that might affect various grants from NSF, NASA, and DOE, full 
funding is guaranteed initially for three years, subject to performance. These 
positions may be extended to a maximum total of five years at a later time, 
subject to performance and negotiation. No teaching duties are required of 
these positions. 

Minimum Qualifications 

The successful candidate will have recently been awarded a Ph.D. at the time of 
appointment in a field related to the science and/or application of space 
geodesy: geodesy, geomatics, geophysics, geology, hydrogeology, seismology, 
physics, applied mathematics, or electrical engineering. An ability to 
successfully conduct research in space geodesy, as evidenced by dissertation or 
peer-reviewed publications, is necessary. Excellent communication skills, data 
analysis skills, and a scholarly motivation to develop a career in scientific 
research are essential. 

Application 

Please submit a letter expressing your interest in the position, names and 
addresses of at least three references, and a complete vita to Postdoctoral 
Search, Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology, Mail Stop 178, University of 
Nevada, Reno, NV 89557-0088. To ensure full consideration, applicants are 
encouraged to have all information on file by December 15, 2003. Starting date 
will be on or after January 15, 2004, depending on the availability of the 
candidate. For further information about NBMG, please consult our home page 
(http://www.nbmg.unr.edu). 

UNR is an affirmative action - equal opportunity employer and employs only U.S. 
citizens and persons lawfully authorized to work in the United States. The 
University of Nevada, Reno does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, 
religion, sex, age, creed, national origin, veteran status, physical or mental 
disability, or sexual orientation in any program or activity it operates.  The 
University complies with the spirit, as well as the letter, of all applicable 
local, state, and federal laws regarding equal opportunity. Employment 
opportunities are and shall be open to all qualified applicants solely on the 
basis of education, experience, aptitude, and ability. Advancement is based 
entirely on achievement, performance, ability, attitude and potential for 
promotion. 

-------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through https://webmail.unr.edu