Subject: [IGSMAIL-0456] Aftershocks
From: Ruth Neilan
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 1994 16:33:10 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Fri Jan 21 16:33:10 PST 1994      Message Number 0456
******************************************************************************

Author: Ruth Neilan
Subject: Aftershocks

Subject: Earthquake Aftershocks

Dear IGS colleagues:

This past week has been quite an ordeal for many of us here in Los Angeles.
Most of the people at JPL who are working with the IGS have fared very well,
especially with respect to the many people in the San Fernando Valley area who
have literally lost everything. The damamge to the infrastructure - the roads,
buildings, bridges &  utilities is absolutely unbelievable! Particlularly 
with the 'state-of-the-art' earthquake structural engineering that has been
implemented here in California. I am certain the images of the damage have been
seen around the world. The situation is really worsened by the continuous
aftershocks that ripple through the area and heighten the nervous tension. 
A 5.1 yesterday, and this morning a 4.6 followed by a 4.4. Numerous smaller 
ones keep us on edge, but is seems that it is really the children and the 
elderly that are suffering the greatest emotional stress.  

There are a number of GPS deployments that have taken place and are in process
in the area to learn as much as possible about this earthquake and the effects.
IGS data and products are particulalry useful and valuable at times like this.
Various people will keep you updated through the IGSMail.

The quake here and the power outage in the east due to the extreme cold should
motivate us to develop the back-up plans for the critical path IGS data and
products, an issue that I would like to address at the upcoming workshop.

Sincerely yours, 

Ruth

========================================================================
Ruth E. Neilan                     Telephone:   (818)-354-8330
IGS Central Bureau                 FAX:         (818)-393-6686
Jet Propulsion Laboratory          Email:       [email-masked]
MS 238-540                         (personal):  [email-masked]
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA 91109
========================================================================