Subject: [IGSMAIL-4542]: AGU Session G13: Seasonal Signals in Geodetic Solutions
From: Geoff Blewitt <[email-masked]>
To: IGSMAIL <[email-masked]>
Cc: Danan Dong <[email-masked]>, Geoff Blewitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 16:57:23 -0700

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      05 Aug 17:00:54 PDT 2003      Message Number 4542
******************************************************************************

Author: Geoff Blewitt and Danan Dong

Dear colleague:
  Please consider contributing to the special session G13 "Seasonal Signals in 
Geodetic Solutions" at the Fall AGU meeting in San Francisco, 8-12 December 
2003. Seasonal phenomena are widespread in the nature, in particular, the 
seasonal variations stemming from thermal, gravitational excitation and mass 
migration can be detected by various space geodetic measurements. For example, 
seasonal surface mass redistribution causes crustal deformation and geocenter 
movement, changes local stress fields and topography, alters Earth rotation 
rate and orientation, and perturbs the gravitational field and satellite 
orbits. Thus, the seasonal solutions from different space geodetic techniques 
are intrinsically related due to common excitation sources. Meanwhile, un-
modeled seasonal systematic errors are also coupled with the signals in the 
space geodetic solutions.
  This session attempts to bring seasonal researches from different geodetic 
disciplines together to broaden our understanding on seasonal signals. This 
session also encourages interdisciplinary interpretation and integration that 
exploits the intrinsic coherence of the seasonal signals from different 
techniques and aspects.
  We solicit papers related to the measurement, analysis, comparison, modeling, 
prediction, and interpretation of the seasonal signals in space geodetic 
solutions. Papers related to seasonal systematic error assessment, calibration 
and modeling are also welcome.
  The deadline for on-line abstracts is 4 Sept 2003, 14:00 UT. 
For further details go to http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm03

Conveners:
Geoff Blewitt, University of Nevada, MS 178, Reno, NV 89557, USA, 
Tel: 1-775-784-6691 ext 171, Fax: 1-775-784-1709
e-mail: [email-masked]
Danan Dong, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, MS 238-600, Pasadena, CA 91109, USA,
Tel: 1-818-393-1827, Fax: 1-818-393-4965
e-mail: [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------
G13 Seasonal Signals in Space Geodetic Solutions

Seasonal signals are a universal characteristic of all types of space geodetic 
solutions, including station coordinate time series, polar motion, length of 
day, Earth's geometric and gravitational shapes, atmospheric delay, GPS signal 
multipathing, and satellite orbit parameters.  This session solicits 
contributions on seasonal signals in any type of geodetic solution to seek 
relationships between different types of solution that may be explained 
physically.  For example, a physical model might predict a relationship between 
seasonal variation in gravity different types of solution are especially 
welcome, as are those that develop models predicting relationships between 
different solutions types. We also welcome the presentation of observed 
seasonal signals that cannot be easily explained, and presentations that 
discuss the anelastic component of the Earth's mechanical response at annual 
frequency.

-------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through https://webmail.unr.edu