Subject: [IGSMAIL-4317]: Real Time Data
From: Yehuda Bock <[email-masked]>
To: CSRC General Mail <[email-masked]>, SCIGN Mail <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], UNAVCO Mail <[email-masked]>
Cc: John Canas <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Cecilia Whitaker <[email-masked]>, Mike Duffy <[email-masked]>, Ken Hudnut <[email-masked]>, Frank Webb <[email-masked]>, Bill Young <[email-masked]>, Nancy King <[email-masked]>, Greg Helmer <[email-masked]>, James Swanson <[email-masked]>, Mark Murray <[email-masked]>, Michael Scharber <[email-masked]>, Brent Gilmore <[email-masked]>, Paul Jamason <[email-masked]>, David Malveaux <[email-masked]>, Peng Fang <[email-masked]>, Linette Prawirodirdjo
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:20:53 -0800

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      20 Mar 11:18:17 PST 2003      Message Number 4317
******************************************************************************

Author: Yehuda Bock

There is an effort underway to upgrade continuous GPS sites in 
California to high-rate (1Hz) sampling, low-latency (<1 sec) data 
dissemination ("real-time") as collaboration between the California 
Spatial Reference Center (CSRC) and the scientific arrays (e.g., 
BARD, SCIGN). There are numerous scientific, societal, and commercial 
benefits to real-time data.

SOPAC is actively collecting and archiving real-time data from two 
dense SCIGN sub-networks in southern California. The first network 
includes sites in Orange County (9 sites of the Orange County  Real 
Time Network, with 2 more built but not yet on line), one site in San 
Diego County (SIO5), and 7 sites in Riverside County to monitor 
deformation of three earthen dams at Diamond Valley Lake (DVL), 
operated by the Metropolitan Water District. The OCRTN is now 
operational and data are now being used by surveyors for wireless, 
multiple-station RTK.  Typical station spacing is 15 km for OCRTN and 
several hundred meters to 8 km for DVL.

Real-time data from all sites (except DVL) can be accessed through 
assigned IP and port numbers. In order to access the data in real 
time you will need to register your incoming IP number with SOPAC 
(please contact me at [email-masked], until further notice). Data are 
available in both binary Ashtech MBEN and RTCM version 2.2.formats. 
We have performed a transatlantic test of this capability with Georg 
Weber of BKG. Thanks Georg.

The high-rate (1 Hz) MBEN data for all sites (including DVL) can be 
found at ftp://garner.ucsd.edu/pub/highrate/cache/raw/. These data 
are copied to the archive every 24 hours. Please note that 
file-naming conventions may change as we develop the system.

There is a weekly real time data report on the SOPAC site 
(http://sopac.ucsd.edu/cgi-bin/showRealTimeReport.cgi) that indicates 
which data are available, and when new sites come on line. This 
report is updated every few hours.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Acknowledgments: John Canas and Art Andrew (Orange County), Cecilia 
Whitaker and Mike Duffy (DVL), SCIGN, and CSRC.

-- 
***********************************************
Yehuda Bock		e-mail: [email-masked]
Research Geodesist	Phone:  (858) 534-5292
& Senior Lecturer	Fax:    (858) 534-9873
			WWW:    http://sopac.ucsd.edu/; http://csrc.ucsd.edu/

Director, Scripps Orbit and Permanent Array Center (SOPAC)
Director, California Spatial Reference Center (CSRC)

Address:
University of California San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive
Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics, Code 0225
La Jolla, CA 92093-0225

FedEx Address:
Cecil H. and Ida M. Green Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
Scripps Institution of Oceanography
8785 Biological Grade, Room 4208
La Jolla, CA 92037
***********************************************