Subject: [IGSMAIL-4314]: new IGS clock coordinator & WG
From: Jim Ray "(NGS" 301-713-2850 "x112)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:06:30 -0500 (EST)

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      19 Mar 10:07:05 PST 2003      Message Number 4314
******************************************************************************

Author: Jim Ray

Dear IGS clock users and IGS/BIPM Pilot Project participants,

This is to announce that the "IGS/BIPM Pilot Project to Study Accurate
Time and Frequency Comparisons using GPS Phase and Code Measurements"
officially ended as an IGS development activity on 31 Dec 2002.  The
Pilot Project began in early 1998 as a joint activity with the Bureau
International des Poids et Mesures (BIPM).  Since then a great deal has
been accomplished by both communities working together to deploy geodetic
receivers at more timing labs, develop IGS clock products, understand
receiver calibration issues, and compare geodetic results with independent
time transfer techniques.  Among the important developments are the IGS
combined clock estimates for receivers at a subset of the global tracking
network, including ~18 colocated at timing labs that contribute to UTC.

It is appropriate at this time for the Pilot Project to transition into
the regular operations of the IGS, much as the reference frame
densification and the ionosphere projects previously evolved.  Meanwhile,
the close working relationship established between the IGS and BIPM --
indeed, between the geodetic and the timing communities -- must be
maintained, especially to further develop the IGS clock products to
benefit international timekeeping and to better align the IGS clocks with
UTC.

The IGS Governing Board has approved creation of a new IGS Clock Products
Working Group (CPWG) to coordinate future aspects of time/frequency
comparison operations within the IGS.  Ken Senior (NRL) has been asked to
chair the CPWG as the IGS Clock Products Coordinator.  The CPWG membership
is being finalized, but each IGS Analysis Center producing clock products
will have a representative together with six at-large members, the IGS
Analysis Coordinator, and representatives of the IGS Central Bureau and
the BIPM Time Section.  The CPWG will be responsible for maintaining and
improving the IGS suite of clock products.

I would like to take this opportunity to express my personal thanks to
everybody who has participated in this effort, particularly all the
components of the IGS without whose efforts this would not have been
possible.  The friendly and invaluable cooperation of our colleagues at
the BIPM, particularly Felicitas Arias and Gerard Petit, and at the
timing labs has been essential and is greatly appreciated.

Please join me in welcoming Ken as the coordinator of future IGS clock
activity and as a new member of the IGS Governing Board.

With best regards,
--Jim