Subject: [IGSMAIL-0426] GODE back online
From: Tom Clark
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 1994 20:19:48 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Sun Jan  2 20:19:48 PST 1994      Message Number 0426
******************************************************************************

Author: Tom Clark
Subject: GODE back online

This message is to inform you that the GODE GPS receiver at the Goddard 
Geophysical and Astronomical Observatory (GGAO) is again operational as
of about 07:00 UTC January 2nd. It has been down for about 10 days.

The problem was that the entire GGAO site (VLBI, GPS and SLR) lost power
about 10 days ago. The site's backup generators were unable to cope with
the prolonged power outage which coincided with severe cold weather and
snow, and was aggravated by the outage occurring over the Christmas and
New Years holidays.

The Hydrogen Maser used for GODE and VLBI suffered some damage from the
prolonged outage so the Turbo Rogue is temporarily operating from a high-
quality crystal oscillator. We will inform you when this problem is
corrected. During the outage the temperature in the VLBI trailer (where the
maser is housed) dipped to at least -10C.

The SLR systems at GGAO also suffered some damage and it is my understanding
that they are not currently operational. I have been told that the cold
caused some fluid lines at the facility to freeze and burst.

Special thanks to Chuck Kodak (GPS/VLBI) and Mike Perry (SLR) from the GGAO 
site for their diligence in trying to keep generators working, and for 
getting the systems back online, and for preventing even more severe damage.

Tom Clark