Subject: [IGSMAIL-0425] Extensive VLBI/GPS Operations in January
From: Tom Clark & Nancy Vandenberg
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 1994 14:21:08 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Sat Jan  1 14:21:08 PST 1994      Message Number 0425
******************************************************************************

Author: Tom Clark & Nancy Vandenberg
Subject: Extensive VLBI/GPS Operations in January

EXTENSIVE SIMULTANEOUS GPS/VLBI OPERATIONS IN JANUARY

This message is to notify the IGS that the NASA/GSFC VLBI group, in 
collaboration with USNO, has organized an extensive session of nearly 
continuous VLBI during the period of January 11-26, 1994. 

There will be up to 24 VLBI stations observing simultaneously in three 
separate networks. We anticipate making comparisons of earth orientation 
results (hourly and daily values) between the VLBI networks and the 
IGS network, and to compare the recovered stochastic atmosphere calibrations
at 15+ colocated VLBI/GPS sites.

The VLBI networks and stations that the GSFC and USNO groups plan to use are:

Network      Stations
========     =====================================================
NASA-R&D     *Fairbanks(Alaska)      *Kokee Park(Hawaii)   
             *Westford(Mass)         Los Alamos VLBA(New Mexico)
             *Wettzell(Germany)      *Onsala(Sweden)
             **Fort Davis VLBA(Texas)

VLBA         Mauna Kea(Hawaii)       Brewster(Washington)   
             Owens Valley(Calif)     Kitt Peak(Arizona)   
             *Pie Town(New Mexico)   *North Liberty(Iowa)
             Hancock(New Hampshire)  **St. Croix(Virgin Islands)

NAVEX-G      *Santiago(Chile)        **Green Bank(West Virginia)
             *Matera(Italy)          *HartRAO(South Africa)   
             *Hobart(Tasmania)       Kashima(Japan)
             *Fortaleza(Brazil)      Noto(Sicily)   
             *Kauai(Hawaii)

Notes:

   * denotes sites with permanent GPS receivers contributing to the IGS.

  ** We are attempting to borrow GPS receivers to install temporarily at
     several of the VLBA sites and Green Bank sites during January. 
     The St. Croix (US Virgin Islands) VLBA site seems quite likely; 
     the intent is to leave that receiver operational through February to 
     also support the CASA and other South American GPS campaigns scheduled 
     for early 1994. Green Bank and Fort Davis also are quite likely.

Happy New Year to all and congratulations on IGS now being officially
operational!

Tom Clark ([email-masked])
Nancy Vandenberg ([email-masked])